How to write songs, when you have absolutely nothing to write about?

Toasta Whales

Hi, well anyway I'm a 17 year old musician struggling to write a set of songs for the cd I'm currently recording. This will be the follow up to a collection of folk, Nintendo styled jazz, and blues I recorded in late 2007 and early 2008. Anyway after a year of neglecting songwriting and music in general I am heading back into the "studio" to record a new set of songs, this time with drums, etc and I will be abandoning the acoustic song (which is frankly kind of boring). I actually tried recording songs a few months ago and I came back with terrible results (the songs were way overarranged and I wasn't experienced enough as a producer). I don't want to go through the same nightmare and try to record them again so I'm deciding to start completely fresh.

But this brings up the problem; I have tons of inspiration when it comes to arranging and producing, but very little in terms of songwriting. I don't have a "girl" to write about which is the crutch for most male songwriters, and I have absolutely no social life to speak of. I am a very talented songwriter and I have some experience producing records (I made an experimental/comedy/midi instrumental album in late 2006 and I made two follow ups in 2007, besides the folk album I recorded) but I feel like I don't have a definite musical purpose and I lack the type of creative spark that drove my last record.

Can you offer me any advice on this? I really would appreciate the help.

Thank you,

Devin (Toasta Whales)

Writer's block hits most writers from time to time and there are many ways you could approach this.....I'll share some of the things I do. I've been married 30 years so I don't have any of the angst of young love to write about (I actually avoid writing love songs....they just seem too obvious). Given that I've already written over 200 songs (over many years)....trying to avoid repeating myself is always a challenge - so I'm always looking for a new "subject".

1. I often have a guitar in hand (even while watching the TV) - or I spend hours doodling on a keyboard. As I doodle, I find chord progressions and/or riffs which create a "mood" - that in turn often may get me scatting a melody line.....which eventually starts to develop into a few words or a phrase. At some point, some of those words seem like a great hook or song titile. Once I have that much.... I then depend on my writing skills to develop a story line.

2. I read alot (newpapers, magazines, books, etc.) - sometimes I'll find a subject that interests me and I'm motivated to write about it - or use the characters in the story as a starting point for my own story line.

3. I listen to a lot of CDs (I often go to rummage sales and buy CDs for $1 or $.50 or even $.25). If I can buy CD's that cheaply - I don't care if I know who the artist is....or even what genre it may be (I can always find at least one song on any given CD that I enjoy or which inspires me). As I listen to all these CDs (I probably listen to 5-6 "new" CDs every week) - I often hear a phrase or a story line that inspires me to "borrow" the phrase or use part of the story to develop my own story line.

I'm a firm believer that the only way to develop and improve writing skills.......is to keep writing - something, every day. Naturally, this means that I write a lot of crap.......but in all that crap I occasionally find a jewel.

I agree the xdrummer guy. it's tough but swallow your pride and write, even if it's obvious and derivative. You can always go back and fix the problem points in a song. I went through a 3 year writer's block. Most of it do to my pretentious nature. I expect more from myself than I probably should. I get the feeling that you do the same.

"I am a very talented songwriter..."
Well, there you go. A very talented songwriter is someone who writes the whole song in a very talented way. If, however, you have trouble writing lyrics then you'd be a very talented composer who is in need of lyrical inspiration or a lyricist.
Having the "girl" or fellow isn't the crutch for songwriters - it's usually the lack of one or, more likely, imagining being without etc that spurs the loveydovey or lovelorn lyric.
Write stuff down, go back later & pick out the useful bits, rewrite etc.
Take the lyric from a fav song & using the structure & rhyming scheme - re write it.
I've written a lyric or two & only an extremely small % are "love" related. I write about war, social problems, mental health, famous people, infamous events, relationships, politics etc. The inspiration is from living, watching, doing, experiencing & caring. The motivation comes from a need to explain, instruct, redirect, amplify, point to something bothering me or I consider worthy of notice.
If your having trouble writing lyrics get a life or get a lyricist.

Hi, well anyway I'm a 17 year old musician struggling to write a set of songs for the cd I'm currently recording. This will be the follow up to a collection of folk, Nintendo styled jazz, and blues I recorded in late 2007 and early 2008. Anyway after a year of neglecting songwriting and music in general I am heading back into the "studio" to record a new set of songs, this time with drums, etc and I will be abandoning the acoustic song (which is frankly kind of boring). I actually tried recording songs a few months ago and I came back with terrible results (the songs were way overarranged and I wasn't experienced enough as a producer). I don't want to go through the same nightmare and try to record them again so I'm deciding to start completely fresh.

But this brings up the problem; I have tons of inspiration when it comes to arranging and producing, but very little in terms of songwriting. I don't have a "girl" to write about which is the crutch for most male songwriters, and I have absolutely no social life to speak of. I am a very talented songwriter and I have some experience producing records (I made an experimental/comedy/midi instrumental album in late 2006 and I made two follow ups in 2007, besides the folk album I recorded) but I feel like I don't have a definite musical purpose and I lack the type of creative spark that drove my last record.

Can you offer me any advice on this? I really would appreciate the help.

Thank you,

Devin (Toasta Whales)

Wow, all that experience and talent at a whole 17 years old and you can't write? :rolleyes:

Just write whatever. You can't/won't reinvent the wheel and it's very unlikely you have anything worthwhile to say at 17. Hell I'm 36 and don't have anything worthwhile to say and love it. You're overthinking this. Act your age and make it fun.

Man Greg that may have been a little rough on the boy. Some people have lived a lifetime in 17 years. My Nephew is 15 and writes some good things. Anyway, Toasta I understand what your going through. I did not have friends and things when I was your age. My life was my music. Day and night I would stay in my room and listen to music. Lots of lonely times. I started writing about 9 months ago and have had people tell me they are as good as things they hear on the radio. Some of that is real crap so I'm not sure to take that as a complement or not. I started writing because things that were going on in my life at the time. I must admit, I didn't know I had it in me. Think of what your going through and write about that. Think about this, John Lennon (The Beatles) wrote a song bassed of a poster for a festival. The song was Being For The Benefit Of Mr Kite.
Most of the song was written directly from the poster. What a concept. A song I could relate to when I was your age was a song by (The Beach Boys- Brian Wilson) called In My Room. If you can find the 2 songs I mentioned give them a listen to. They may give you some inspiration. Keep it up and don't quit because you will regret it latter in life.

Write about not being able to write.

Change things up in your life. Make new friends, go new places.

Stay on top of current events.

Writers block doesn't exist. Well, it does if you think it does. It's like voodoo. It can kill those who believe in it.

It's many years since I was 17 and I'm not sure this is an age thing anyway. But at 17 I'd been playing trumpet for 10 years and guitar for a year. I'd also been writing poems for 10 years and songs for about 5 years or so.

Almost nothing remains of those early efforts. Like you, I had no girlfriends or social life then either, except with a band I'd joined, and all we did was rehearse... There were no girls hanging out with that band!

Most of my poems and lyrics in those days were about the angst of having no girl friend, or lost loves (that I'd never had anyway...), mystical situations and some comedy bits and pieces.

You can write. There's plenty of tips out there and tricks to get you going. I can remember at 16, 17 or 18 cutting out individual words from magazine articles and putting loads in a big paper bag, shaking it, and drawing them out one by one and juggling the order of them until I got something that inspired a line for a song or poem.

You can write. I have to qualify that though by saying that just because you can write, doesn't mean others will like or appreciate your efforts!

There's the rub. :D

just sing. I mean that. Life is multi deminisonal thing, that is ozzing songs. I am looking out my window as I type. A million songs come to me. Songs about the yard, the birds, the neighbors, the gray sky, the heat, the dreams I have sitting here, wondering who lived in this 100 year old house, the worries and joys going on next door, lost loves and dreams that have occurred here......... Just tap into that, and you will never struggle to find a song.

I have tons of inspiration when it comes to arranging and producing, but very little in terms of songwriting...... I am a very talented songwriter....

I was going to to say something about the "Talented Songwriter" who can't write.... but I see others beat me to the punch. :D

Songwriting is an artform that has to be developed, just like painting or writing books or playing an instrument. Practice everyday. You don't have to write about yourself or your own life experiences. Part of being an artist is to have the ability to describe something you've never seen or experienced. Like a sci-fi novelist who writes about life on other planets. Obviously he's never been there before, but can place the raeader ther and make it believeable.

You've got something to say, everyone does. Hell, you're on an internet forum posting about something.... if you can do that, you can write a song. :)

have fun.

"I am a very talented songwriter..."
Well, there you go. A very talented songwriter is someone who writes the whole song in a very talented way. If, however, you have trouble writing lyrics then you'd be a very talented composer who is in need of lyrical inspiration or a lyricist.
Having the "girl" or fellow isn't the crutch for songwriters - it's usually the lack of one or, more likely, imagining being without etc that spurs the loveydovey or lovelorn lyric.
Write stuff down, go back later & pick out the useful bits, rewrite etc.
Take the lyric from a fav song & using the structure & rhyming scheme - re write it.
I've written a lyric or two & only an extremely small % are "love" related. I write about war, social problems, mental health, famous people, infamous events, relationships, politics etc. The inspiration is from living, watching, doing, experiencing & caring. The motivation comes from a need to explain, instruct, redirect, amplify, point to something bothering me or I consider worthy of notice.
If your having trouble writing lyrics get a life or get a lyricist.

Sorry, but I am actually having more trouble writing music at the moment. :) I am definitely the best lyricist I know (in my age group), so working with a lyricist (which is degrading in itself) wouldn't work. I like having complete control over the music I write and record.
(PS, you were being rather harsh)

I was going to to say something about the "Talented Songwriter" who can't write.... but I see others beat me to the punch. :D

Songwriting is an artform that has to be developed, just like painting or writing books or playing an instrument. Practice everyday. You don't have to write about yourself or your own life experiences. Part of being an artist is to have the ability to describe something you've never seen or experienced. Like a sci-fi novelist who writes about life on other planets. Obviously he's never been there before, but can place the raeader ther and make it believeable.

You've got something to say, everyone does. Hell, you're on an internet forum posting about something.... if you can do that, you can write a song. :)

have fun.

I do write about situations that take place outside of my immediate life, but I feel they lack genuinity.

Okay, I think this thread was written with an ill understanding of my situation. I am actually having more trouble writing music than I am lyrics, and I think I hinted at that mentioning how I was transistioning in musical direction. Anyway, thanks for all of the condescensions and for some of the actual advice some of you gave me (thanks xdrummer).

Toasta, writing music is even easier than lyrics! It's all around you and there are only 12 notes, so you can't go far wrong!

It's part of being human, to be able to hum a tune! Everyone can make up a tune!

Whether you can see it or not, you're getting great advice in EVERY post in this thread!

I'll now give you my best shot:

Whatever you write (lyrics and music) make it from the heart, do it for you and don't follow trends or leaders, and be very wary of "musical rules". Learn them by all means, but don't be fooled into believing you have to follow them all the time.

And, finally as Walter says, just go for it!

Good luck! :)

Last edited:
Sorry, but I am actually having more trouble writing music at the moment. :) I am definitely the best lyricist I know (in my age group), so working with a lyricist (which is degrading in itself) wouldn't work. I like having complete control over the music I write and record.

The fact that you were having more trouble writing music rather than words did not emerge in your original post, which actually suggested it was the other way aorund.

I'm not sure why you would think that working with a lyricist is degrading. I reckon Bernie Taupin and Elton John might have views on that. Collaborating in this way can be highly productive and very satisfying.

But I can understand why you would want to exercise complete control over your music. We can form strong emotional attachments to our creations, and external influence or advice can easily seem like a personal attack.

I can understand you're having trouble writing music & lyrics because you're having trouble making yourself clear in your posts.
I was harsh? - read your words matey. You come across as a world weary 17 year old who wants it all & wants it now; Not unusual for a 17 year old at all, (most of us were there to some degree), BUT you're so mired in hubris you can't see that almost every second phrase you've written is a slap in the face or put down of many of the people reading them.
You've slammed: acoustic music, collaborations, males with a muse, love songs, relationship songs, people who disagree with you, other lyricists in your peer group, our comprehension of your writing & anyone you can't mutate into a supporter of your stance,(all, I might add, without producing any evidence to support yourself - not even a jock strap!).
Genuinity? & You're a lyricist of high calibre? The condescension (ah, Mr Collins, you've been reborn: callow but nevertheless a new era, vouchsafed by your good self, may flourish) came from you. Lighten your grip on your creative process and other areas of onanistic revelation.
I'm all for supporting the arts, creativity and youthful endeavour. I'm also able to wait out most arrogance until that person has come through to see themselves better but I don't see any value in this for you, as you're not paying any attention to anyone other than yourself, and the world has more primadonnies than it can use.

Maybe I can paraphrase what Ray said.

The title of this thread is exactly:

How to write songs, when you have absolutely nothing to write about?

This does NOT mean "I have a ton of lyrics but I can't seem to write a melody to complement them".

This means "I can't write any lyrics right now".

Get off your F'IN high horse and take the advice that's given, and don't accuse US of misunderstanding what you said quite clearly.

-Mike

Confusion about intent aside.....:) - assuming you must have some intrumental chops (since you indicate you can produce and arrange)....there are various ways to develop melody/harmony concepts.

No doubt simply having an insturment in you hand and doodling will lead to chord progressions and/or riffs. Personally, that is how I develop 99% of the music I compose......I'm not inspired by anything in particular.....I simply play for the joy of playing and that leads to some "original" ideas.

Another more analytical approach could be to learn songs from CD's (or from music books if you have some reading chops) - and then start to reconstruct the melody and/or chord structure until you have something to call your own.

One of my favorite ways to work out of a composing slump is to change instruments. If the guitar isn't giving me anything, I'll sit down at a keyboard or start playing a drum beat (or programming a drum beat). I've had a couple of songs start from simply slapping my hands on my steering wheel at a stop light and that led to a groove which then led to my humming a melody.

I must say that your attitude that working with a co-writer is "dregrading" is rather short sighted. Music, at it's best is a collaborative effort - that is why musicians get together to form bands. Most of the best songs every writen were collaborations from Tin Pan Alley to the Brill building to Lennon and McCartney.

I can appreciate that you want control. Most writers cherish thier songs like a new born baby.........but I would suggest the most well developed children tend to come from a family where more than one person controls the child (how's that for a metaphor:D)

Back