Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: How much should I pay?

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    I don't think it's honest this thing of "not claiming" author rights; this could be done for pure "technical" work. But when art, creativity is involved, I find the law is quite brutal even on allowing it. It makes me remember the famous Dostoievski case - he lost authorship rights for one of his famous novels for many years, what became a world known scandal.
    The important thing for me is keeping at least a percentage of authorship rights for the writter.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Siruiz View Post
    I don't think it's honest this thing of "not claiming" author rights; this could be done for pure "technical" work. But when art, creativity is involved, I find the law is quite brutal even on allowing it. It makes me remember the famous Dostoievski case - he lost authorship rights for one of his famous novels for many years, what became a world known scandal.
    The important thing for me is keeping at least a percentage of authorship rights for the writter.
    Hi Siruiz,
    I understand your point. I already found a writer and signed a contract with him. But you have to understand two things here. I was asking for a short story to someone who write novels. So a little 30 pages compared to the 300-400 pages he is used to do is a tiny sample kind of like a single for musicians or a letter they write in journals or magazines not a full novel that they are known for. I will pay him what he asked for and put his name in the booklet so Iím not stealing anything. Second point is itís a new project for a music style that is really underground and that I will print maybe 50 copies so it wonít get me any money from it that is for sure, itís only something I want to do for my pleasure and satisfaction.

Thanks
    Yep - but you need to protect for the future. You're planning for 50, but what happens if it's picked up unexpectedly and you SELL 50,000! Sure - it probably won't happen, but what if it did? Did you make sure the contract contained the usual buy out clauses, and is watertight - did you cover all bases? It's this kind of thing that ends up in court when money becomes serious!

Thread Information