How many bad songs do you have to write before you write a good one?

I really don't have much experience writing songs but have been a "critic" for my lifetime. I realized I could pick out a quality song when I would listen to a new album and find B side songs written by great song writers regulardless of the artist or performance. I 'm not sure of what is required for a good song but apparently there are ingredients that stand out. That said, I agree that the beauty in a song is in the ear of the owner and thankfully they share those with the rest of us.

I
think that your skills as a songwriter are somewhat dependent on you skill as a player and arranger. So in theory you get better at it as your musical skills grow. Plus your skills may be dependent on how many songs you've heard or cover songs you've learned. It's kind of like school, the more you learn the better you are at your trade as you apply your training to your work.

I don't think this is true. Sometimes the less you know the better. You don't have to master the guitar to find some great music in it, same for all instruments. Even when you really master an instrument you are trying to clear your mind of everything you've learned in order to find something new and creative when you write. Seriously you could write an amazing song with 2 fingers. What you need is a real desire to be honest and write something no one has heard before.

I don't think this is true. Sometimes the less you know the better. You don't have to master the guitar to find some great music in it, same for all instruments. Even when you really master an instrument you are trying to clear your mind of everything you've learned in order to find something new and creative when you write. Seriously you could write an amazing song with 2 fingers. What you need is a real desire to be honest and write something no one has heard before.

I agree with this, minus the honesty part. The best songwriters are often the best bullshit artists. I think once the need to be "true" or "authentic" enters into any kind of writing, it's gonna be a huge roadblock.

I keep reading this, and I would like to think, all my songs are good. Just some better than others. If it is bad, I keep it on the shelf until I can do something with it and can make it better.

Now, do others think it is bad. Not going there. :laughings:

Creativity is almost the exact opposite of honesty.

This explains a lot. I was going to answer the question stated at the start of this thread as"

I don't know, I havent done a good one yet....

Ive also been accused of being honest to a fault. Hmmmmm

The difference honesty makes is that it makes the song easier to write. When an honest thought or line comes out, it sounds nearly perfect.

If it's bs, you have to work on it a lot harder to get it to sound real.

Repeat performance !

Creativity is almost the exact opposite of honesty.
I don't think that this is true in an absolute sense at all. It can be true in many instances. Equally it can be so far from the truth that it's hardly worth considering.
As often is the case, it depends.

The difference honesty makes is that it makes the song easier to write. When an honest thought or line comes out, it sounds nearly perfect.

If it's bs, you have to work on it a lot harder to get it to sound real.
I don't think that this is true in an absolute sense at all. It can be true in many instances. Equally it can be so far from the truth that it's hardly worth considering.

So why exactly have a thread talking about it, if nothing can be gained from responding?

So why exactly have a thread talking about it, if nothing can be gained from responding?
I've not said that nothing can be gained by responding {I didn't start the thread}.
I may disagree with some of the things you've said but I think your contribution has been well founded and rounded and offers plenty of food for thought. It is not my desire to shut you down at all. I enjoy good debate.

Back