Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: how do you start?

Thanks

how do you start?

Sign in to disable this ad
    when you feel like to creat, how you usually start working on it? do you first have an idea, and only then you go and creat it?
    or you get your idea as you decide to comppose something?
    and if you do, whats the process of it for you?
    what you start with?

thank you

northampton uk home of Dr Who and Blackstar Amps!
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mir View Post
    when you feel like to creat, how you usually start working on it? do you first have an idea, and only then you go and creat it?
    or you get your idea as you decide to comppose something?
    and if you do, whats the process of it for you?
    what you start with?

thank you
    I have been involved in music repro and recording in a small way all my life (now 74) and in my late teens and 20s was a fair "chugger" on guitar but a better bass player. I was involved with a couple of bands, mates mostly and did Beatles covers and standards but never got anywhere.

Later I helped my talented son in a technical way to do recording. In all that time I have never written a song and indeed the muse has never caught me! Son has composed loads of stuff but does not think it worth doing anything with.

So, I don't think you can learn to write songs, anymore than you can come up with a groundbreaking scientific theory. The Gift is there or it is not.

Just my 2penn'oth.

Dave.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ecc83 For This Useful Post:

Mir

Thanks
    All my writing has always been a need for something I couldn't find. I'm also stupid and say yes when common sense says no. I find if I need a piece of music that lasts 2:20, has to be sad and traditional sounding I can go to the studio and have to finished to 'saleable' quality pretty quickly. What I have trouble with are up tempo modern bits of music. Slow, sad and moving = easy, but if somebody needed guitar, drums, bass and keys in a modern style - despite being able to play that kind of stuff, I cannot write it. I also can't do lyrics. Melodies are fine - but writing words is impossible.

If I'm doing my favourites - the slow ones, then I tend to write with right hand chords, and left hand bass, and find a sound to start with and a tempo . So I'll maybe use something like Absynth - and find a weird evolving pad and then play to a click, moving from chord to chord live, with the next ones appearing in my head. I find that what happens is that the piece grows in 16 bar chunks. Oddly, I find that I don't follow the contemporary intro-verse-chorus-verse-bridge-chorus-verse-playout route or the classical music A-B-C prescriptions for classical style music - I just do what comes to me, and then it often falls into one of the formal categories.

So for me, the sound drives the composition. Some sound classical, some more r+b, but the thing that surprises me is that I can do string quartets, jazz stuff, even poppy stuff, but some genres are totally alien to me - club style dance music won't be there, nor anything metal. Oddly - I quite like big band and swing, and while I have the musical experience to write it, and the kit - every attempt suddenly becomes something I've heard. Two or three times I have scrapped a project because I suddenly realise I have the chord sequence from one well known song, with a new, but too similar melody to a well known song.

I've also done a few old fashioned pieces based on the style and sound of old recordings - A church organ piece of all things, and a Erik Satie style piano thing. I also have to be very careful to avoid Elton John chord sequences, they sneak in sometimes, and a piece of music I wrote about 20 years ago often pops up again, and I have to go back and uncompose it.

I can sing - but I never do, and never really want to. That's how I work, and it works pretty well for me.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to rob aylestone For This Useful Post:

Mir

Thanks
    For me, it takes something to trigger a song. It might be a newspaper article, an old memory. I've written two birthday songs for a good friend that I used to work with. They've never been anything commercial.

Usually it starts with a phrase or some lyrics, and the tune will come from that. I don't play piano, so they are all guitar based. If my buddy who plays bass and piano ever retires and I can get him over to the house for some music time I may be able to flesh out some of these songs.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to TalismanRich For This Useful Post:

Mir

Thanks
    For me it starts in the shower...

9. The Following User Says Thank You to miroslav For This Useful Post:

Mir

northampton uk home of Dr Who and Blackstar Amps!
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by miroslav View Post
    For me it starts in the shower...
    Not with the lektrik geetar I thrust!

Dave.

Thanks
    For me it starts with a seed.

The seed can be anything . . . a phrase that pops into my head, a fragment of a tune that I hear somewhere, a suggestion made by someone, an image, a dream, an emotion, a story told to me . . . anything could be a trigger.

Sometimes the words will come first, sometimes the tune.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to gecko zzed For This Useful Post:

Mir

Thanks
    thank you Dave , i don't agree with what you said though about writing songs. of course some people are more talanted from others,
    and it might be easier for them t start, but everyone can write and composse something, it's about if they decide they want to be doing this and puting time and efort in it, and trying to really express something from their mind.
    every1 ah their own way of thetting the muse, was curious to hear these ways
    and about your son, f he has a lot of stuff he made, maybe you can encourage him to share this

Thanks
    thank you
    about the styles you cna't composse, maybe you should lsiten to this type of song for a while, to get more familier with the style,
    if you're interested ofc with compossing such styles.
    and yes, sound deffenetly drives and brings ideas!

Thanks
    did you record with him some stuff
    you just get inspired, creative
    thank you

Thread Information