View Poll Results: How's it (usually) work for you?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • Come up with it in my head

7 25.93%
  • Come up with it by tinkering around on an instrument (guitar, keyboard, whatever)

5 18.52%
  • Pretty even mix of the 2 above

12 44.44%
  • other (splain)

3 11.11%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: How do you come up w/that initial idea/set of lyrics/melody/etc

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    No method. Depends on how the idea comes. It comes when it comes, and how it comes is how it wants to come. If I tried to write music the same way every time, I think everything would sound the same. Sometimes doing music in a way you aren't used to is nice to write with more variety.
    Happy Fathers Day!

Thanks
    I tend to noodle around on my guitar until I find something I think sounds alright. Eventually I stumble on an idea that works for me and I start with a lyric melody (normally by saying complete nonsense to a melody I think fits) When finding the melody I normally stumble on a sentence that fits. This sentence then tends to set the story for the lyrics which I fit around it.

I have creative spurts and then all of a sudden hid a road block. I've had songs like that for years and then one night boom I seem to find a way to move the song along. It's a funny old process. I write best when I'm emotional or tired. I love writing music when I'm practically falling asleep :P

Thanks
    I actually wrote an article on this topic and about how to keep things flowing in a natural way, I hope you find it useful Idan Altman | Indie Music Producer
    Idan Altman - Producer and Mastering Engineer
    www.idanaltman.com

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Darren1664 View Post
    I tend to noodle around on my guitar until I find something I think sounds alright. Eventually I stumble on an idea that works for me and I start with a lyric melody (normally by saying complete nonsense to a melody I think fits) When finding the melody I normally stumble on a sentence that fits. This sentence then tends to set the story for the lyrics which I fit around it.

I have creative spurts and then all of a sudden hid a road block. I've had songs like that for years and then one night boom I seem to find a way to move the song along. It's a funny old process. I write best when I'm emotional or tired. I love writing music when I'm practically falling asleep :P
    Yes! So this, i love to play my guitar while falling asleep and come up with melodies that kinda wake me up. I tend to write poorly tho, need to improve those lame love lyrics and start to write some decent stories

Thanks
    It actually doesn't take me long to come up with melodies when I am intent on finding one. Often times, it's the very first thing I play on the instrument. The ideas that come from my head are more rare, but generally are more experimental in nature. There's even times when I come up with a melody by complete accident.
    Alec Weesner | Video-Game Composer
    www.alecweesner.com | alec.weesner@gmail.com

Thanks
    I went to UCLA Film Scoring Program, and we had to write quickly to get assignments finished.
    Whenever I could not think of a tune right off, I took a warm bath. Lying there with no distractions, ideas would just start popping into my head. Sometimes just a melody but often full orchestrations. With just my mind working it, I was not hampered by my possible inability to play what I was thinking, or distracted by equipment issues.
    Then after the bath I could go to a piano, write down the basics and any specific riffs or orchestration ideas that came up, then start fleshing out the details at my workstation and/or on paper.

-Rory McDonald

Thanks
    I know this thread is old, but there are some good ideas in here.
    I noticed that the vast majority here write the music first, then agonize over writing a lyric.
    I am sort of the opposite. I subscribe to the Bernie Taupin/Elton John method, where Bernie would present Elton with a set of lyrics and Elton would set it to music. Bernie finds it impossible to write music and Elton can't write lyrics to save his life.

Anyway, first I try to come up with an idea for a song, then I agonize over writing lyrics, with no idea of how it will sound...will it be fast, slow, piano, guitar based? No clue.

After - and ONLY after - I have a complete set of lyrics, I then put on my Elton hat and write some chord changes and a melody, to fit the lyrics.

That's the only way I can make it work. If I try it the opposite way, it's like I'm trying to learn Chinese.
    Click to hear my latest songs I Want To Write A Song and Palm Trees and Eighty Degrees

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Strat1958 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    How could I not?

Thread Information