Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Figuring Out Chords

Thanks

Figuring Out Chords

Sign in to disable this ad
    I watch TV with my guitar and just play. Eventually I'll come up with something and work it into a song. My latest has a capo on the 5th fret and kind of seems like it's based in a strange F chord. My fingers are constantly moving, so I had no idea. I did a search and came up with this site. It's really neat. The chord was an F(sus)2 with variations.

You just touch on the fret and it shows the chords.

There's much more this site does. If I can use this, anyone can.

Guitar Chord Analyzer (Chord Namer/Identifier) | Oolimo.com

chords-jpg

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Snowman999 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    The online chord analyzers are pretty nice.

I recently downloaded a Jazz Chord book. For the life of me, I can' t figure out how people twist their fingers into such convoluted positions. Jazz guitarists must be double jointed freaks of nature with 6 inch long fingers. My stubby sausages don't come close.

That's why I play rock and roll.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to TalismanRich For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TalismanRich View Post
    The online chord analyzers are pretty nice.

I recently downloaded a Jazz Chord book. For the life of me, I can' t figure out how people twist their fingers into such convoluted positions. Jazz guitarists must be double jointed freaks of nature with 6 inch long fingers. My stubby sausages don't come close.

That's why I play rock and roll.
    Before 2017 I wrote 2 or 3 songs where my fingers moved while playing a chord. Like most punk rock guitarists, if I was playing a G or A I played a G or A till I changed chords. Now, I'm just all over the damn place. Which for my tone deaf ears makes adding other instruments a nightmare.

I had a friend I worked with who played jazz chords and I was in awe of his fingers. Because he played chords my fingers could never move to. To be able to do it with such ease was astounding. BUT, IMO Page is the greatest guitarist, and watch him play. His fingering is HUMAN. It's the choice of chord changes and notes that make him special. Even old swing band videos of guitarists just playing chords, they're more complex, but they're not insane. These books show you what the full 6 string chord would look like, in reality most just play 3 - 4 strings at a time, making it easier to position your fingers.

I love in the old music books where they show the chords, and some are physically impossible.

I have to look deeper into the site I posted about. Maybe there's something in there that will help me with choosing the right notes to add for arranging. I foresee days of experimenting and getting it all wrong.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowman999 View Post
    Before 2017 I wrote 2 or 3 songs where my fingers moved while playing a chord. Like most punk rock guitarists, if I was playing a G or A I played a G or A till I changed chords. Now, I'm just all over the damn place. Which for my tone deaf ears makes adding other instruments a nightmare.

I had a friend I worked with who played jazz chords and I was in awe of his fingers. Because he played chords my fingers could never move to. To be able to do it with such ease was astounding. BUT, IMO Page is the greatest guitarist, and watch him play. His fingering is HUMAN. It's the choice of chord changes and notes that make him special. Even old swing band videos of guitarists just playing chords, they're more complex, but they're not insane. These books show you what the full 6 string chord would look like, in reality most just play 3 - 4 strings at a time, making it easier to position your fingers.

I love in the old music books where they show the chords, and some are physically impossible.

I have to look deeper into the site I posted about. Maybe there's something in there that will help me with choosing the right notes to add for arranging. I foresee days of experimenting and getting it all wrong.
    I recommend the Beato Book. It's music theory but relatable and his videos help illuminate the concepts. Things like what notes go with chord progressions are covered.

I am another sausage fingered ham handed player, but I have become better by learning the modes and scales and such.

For those of us without the stretch ability I like capo's and alternate tunings. Great for creativity jolts.

Almost forgot: Rick Beato
    Win 7 Ult Dell i7 4core 6700ghz 32 GB, 1,2x2, 4 Tb Barracuda HD's running Pro tools 2019 through Allen&Heath Qu-32

Thanks
    For every jazz chord there will be multiple names, so If it sounds good - it is good, no matter what it's name. However, as in most music, the chord name is linked to those around it. We could rename every common Am as C6, but Am fits fine doesn't it!
    Last edited by rob aylestone; 10-24-2020 at 06:11.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gtoboy View Post
    For those of us without the stretch ability I like capo's and alternate tunings.
    Whoever came up with the capo, I would like to shake their hand, presuming they are still on this mortal coil.
    In a recording sense, the combination of capos, alternate tunings and varispeed has been liquid gold for me. They light my sonic skies.....

9. The Following User Says Thank You to grimtraveller For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gtoboy View Post
    I recommend the Beato Book. It's music theory but relatable and his videos help illuminate the concepts. Things like what notes go with chord progressions are covered.

I am another sausage fingered ham handed player, but I have become better by learning the modes and scales and such.

For those of us without the stretch ability I like capo's and alternate tunings. Great for creativity jolts.

Almost forgot: Rick Beato
    I have seen his videos. They are excellent. He's quite informative. The problem is, I have no idea what he's talking about (it's the same with most lesson videos). Sometimes it falls into place and by the end I've put it together. Then I have to rewatch to fully understand.

Books on music and me, do not mix. They might as well be in another language.

Quote Originally Posted by rob aylestone View Post
    For every jazz chord there will be multiple names, so If it sounds good - it is good, no matter what it's name.
    That's the way I look at it. My problem is, I write pop music and I have a tendency to accidentally make it dissonant when it doesn't need to be.

Quote Originally Posted by grimtraveller View Post
    Whoever came up with the capo, I would like to shake their hand, presuming they are still on this mortal coil.
    In a recording sense, the combination of capos, alternate tunings and varispeed has been liquid gold for me. They light my sonic skies.....
    I love my capo. I never used one till a few years ago.

I wrote a song and asked the singer from my FFMH album to sing it. The first thing she did was rearrange it. We argued for at least an hour. I finally gave in, and we tried it her way. After ONE try she said "your way is better." Then she said "I can't sing it in this key. You need to change the key." This is one of the first songs I wrote that wasn't straight chords. I panicked and said "How do I do that?" She thought I was a insane and said "A capo." OOOH. I didn't have one. She did it in the key I wrote it in (I still don't know what it is).

This is a video I made for it. It has a "CONTEXT" panel attached now. I'm locked out of this account, because of password and email problems.

Thanks
    I've been catching up on writing out my lyrics and chords and found this one
    I keep handy on my phone.

Chord Namer

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by spantini View Post
    I've been catching up on writing out my lyrics and chords and found this one
    I keep handy on my phone.

Chord Namer
    That's even better than the one I put up. This one plays the chord.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowman999 View Post
    That's even better than the one I put up. This one plays the chord.
    AND... it gives you all those alien-like jazzy chord names you never knew existed
    Failure - - the path of least persistence
    And, uh, oh - hire a decorator to come in here quick, 'cause... DAMN.

Thread Information