Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9

Thread: Electronic U.S. Copyright application: How long before I can publicize the song?

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    If you read TAE's posts its really clear whats going on. Great real-world posts....

So if timestamped /home sent proof of creation date posted in a digital realm to yourself or soundcloud or youtube etc... its your creation proof of date. A person doesn't need the US LoC form. As I understand TAE, "Only" if someone makes a big hit from your tune / work, is when you can file then, to get your US Gov Copyright that is required so you can sue in Federal Court.

I think that's the misunderstood vibe by many of us HR writers, that the USGov Copyright paper is a race to have it copyrighted first!! Making us invincible from lawsuits! Earliest date stamp race with the US Gov! But as TAE mentions the real world situation, where like most things it comes down to Lawyers and Money making a lawsuit unlikely anyway...and in the end..the Lawyer is the only one who made money. ( like my divorce? hmmm)...you can sue or be sued with or without the US Gov form.

My trend data, of decades, shows I will not need to sue anyone for any of my songs being stolen by anyone.

Makes sense lawsuits only happen to the big money songs. Netflix has a new show about the rip-off that happened with When The Lion Sleeps Tonight....the African family got some money finally, but seems they drank it away and wanted more but it wasn't happening. Interesting show.

if it's not happening in the room, it ain't gonna happen on tape.-H.Gerst

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CoolCat View Post
    So if timestamped /home sent proof of creation date posted in a digital realm to yourself or soundcloud or youtube etc... its your creation proof of date. A person doesn't need the US LoC form. As I understand TAE, "Only" if someone makes a big hit from your tune / work, is when you can file then, to get your US Gov Copyright that is required so you can sue in Federal Court.
    I'm glancing through the copyright office's documentation, and this seems right. You have copyright immediately, but you can't sue until it's registered.

It also looks like (Section II B), if an album consistently has the same owner of both music and lyrics then it can still be registered as a single work.
    They made it so that if you do the pop - use a ton of writers per song - thing, you have to register those songs separately because the album registration wasn't fine-grained enough.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by camn View Post
    CoolCat- Im with you. this is unnecessary nowadays.

Just publish it through. . anyone.
    BandCamp. YouTube. SoundCloud. Wherever. And press a CDR with datestamps.

Then... when you think your UNIQUE idea got ripped off by Farrell... you have all the proof you need.

Plus- you are WAY more likely to get some listens that way.. or maybe even someone wanting to licence a sample!
    $55 to register your copyright?! IMO that is a waste of $55. Publishing with CD Baby will get you the same protection for $35.

That method will not hold up legally. Suppose you have a singer or a guitar player play on your song. You record it. They go home and post a fast live version of them performing the song. I’m sure it happens. The fact that they posted it on YT first doesn’t hold much weight. You are bypassing the entire registration process put in place by your government. I wouldn’t take that chance.

Thread Information