Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Electronic U.S. Copyright application: How long before I can publicize the song?

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    ...and contrary to what I wrote last week, here's a short video on infringement.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Chili For This Useful Post:

TAE

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Chili View Post
    ...here's a short video on infringement.
    That was funny!

That paints a good picture of how it must be on "Music Row".
    They're cutting up each other's songs down to a few notes here and a few lyrics there, and then rehashing them as something else.
    I guess that's why so much of it sounds the same.

Surprised someone hasn't churned out some algorithm (maybe they already have)...where you can feed it like 10-15 current hit songs, and it will spit out all the "legal" variations you can cop from them to make into your new songs...and not infringe on copyright and get sued.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by miroslav View Post
    That was funny!

That paints a good picture of how it must be on "Music Row".
    They're cutting up each other's songs down to a few notes here and a few lyrics there, and then rehashing them as something else.
    I guess that's why so much of it sounds the same.
    A normal person would call it incestuous.

Thanks
    I was jamming on Drive My Car ..Beatles 1966 and its almost exactly like Hendrix Crosstown Traffic 67-68....
    but the sound recordings are so different, only the structure and chords are very much the same....Beatles mentioned a Motown bass line influence...its a blurry line.

if it's not happening in the room, it ain't gonna happen on tape.-H.Gerst

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Chili View Post
    ...and contrary to what I wrote last week, here's a short video on infringement.

Funny stuff! Thanks for sharing this one Chili!

Thanks
    Just waded through this one again.

If anyone cares, the US copyright office changed the rules for submitting a collection of works back in March, so you can no longer submit anything that was previously published (e.g., uploaded to YouTube, et al) and they limit it to 10 individual works (except in some cases, like photos, IIRC). This change may be significant for the way a lot of folks may have been doing things.

Full disclosure: IANAL.

The confusion over SR and PA seems to be a constant in threads like this, but at it's over-simplest, if you want to copyright the song you wrote, you'd probably go with a PA application, while if you want to copyright a performance, e.g., something you might plan to release on an EP, then the SR app will be more appropriate. (Either can use an audio recording as the record of your copyrighted work!) You can, according to most posts, establish your copyright registration with a SR application that includes your original work; but, waiting until you had your "radio ready" version of a song in the can does add some risk, since you've probably exposed it to others by that time.

FWIW, I submitted 10 songs back in January (another person's works that simply came over and recorded them) with the previous PA application. It was marked closed sometime last week, just short of 4 months. I don't know if the change in rules for that form will speed things up, but limiting the number of separate works can't hurt, though, cynically, it probably increases their revenue marginally.

As everyone stated, you've got a copyright once you write/type something. The problem is that you really don't have any realistic legal recourse without registration. If you're even remotely "in the business" of music, you should probably be registering your work(s), IMO.
    "... I know in the mornin' that it's gonna be good
    when I stick out my elbows and they don't bump wood." - Bill Kirchen

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to keith.rogers For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    interesting change, they probably read TAE's post and thought they better change it before no one sent them money anymore..(kiddin)

<deleted old LoC filing info>..
    Last edited by CoolCat; 4 Weeks Ago at 08:20.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CoolCat View Post

reading back in time, I posted a pic that shows SR can copyright both, (Performance and Words and Music = SR for everything only if you did it all).
    Ask a Music Lawyer: Which copyright forms do I use? How many do I need to fill out?
    The link article is dated 2011, so is not something I'd read for an up-to-date interpretation!

And, these things change all the time. The copyright office will continue to tweak this stuff and may change it substantially again, but the current rules are pretty clear (as this non-lawyer read the initial public record) - you cannot submit a group registration for songs/music anymore unless they are unpublished works, and the current limit is 10, which must be individually uploaded, BTW. Whether you use PA or SR, I don't know for sure if it matters in this case, but the Standard Application cannot be used to register a group of published recordings. (Start an application and read the restrictions if you want to confirm this.) I suspect you could upload your album as a single SR (one file), but you won't be able to list the individual songs - at least that's my expectation.

Or, put another way, if you've got a published work, it must be registered individually, and not as part of a group.

Now, the copyright office has continued to not be specific about what "published" actually means in the age of the internet, so you might be able to fudge your way through this if you're able to clean up traces of anything that they might decide means published, but you really don't want to get into a discussion with any government body about whether they are right or wrong about these things, so I'd try to use the system as it is, until it changes (again). Just my (earned) $.02.

Federal Register link from back in February: https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/...2019-02185.pdf

P.S. Given the pace which these applications are processed, you won't be able to search and see what's been registered, and how, for a few months, since this rule took place in March.
    "... I know in the mornin' that it's gonna be good
    when I stick out my elbows and they don't bump wood." - Bill Kirchen

Thanks
    I suppose 10 song limit wont effect me , but yeah if someone was doing 400 songs under 1 album just to "get a stamp", makes sense.
    Im going to delete the 2011 thing above, that's a great point when keeping this "updated" going...delete old references.

Unpublished , the smart thing if interested in copyright is to file it first. PA or SR, ? but a 10 limit is easy to comprehend.
    The pro's seem to do PA, each song, keep it clear and focused. There seems to be no confusion that way.

Maybe someone will file a new form and chime in....

Thanks
    IF I have to do a 14 song album one song at a time because I've already 'pre-released' versions on youtube or soundcloud, I've just spent more money copyrighting than I will ever get from streaming or hard copy sales! F*ck the US Copyright office and everyone there who makes more than I do and will get a government pension after they do their 20 years!
    Mike B My new album on CD Baby: Fact and Fiction
    My Bandcamp site: http://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

Thread Information