Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Electronic U.S. Copyright application: How long before I can publicize the song?

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    i got the paper form, sr....filed in May arrived in Dec....so just fyi for anyone wondering.

2hrs to do the eForm and 6 months to get the paper thing.

if it's not happening in the room, it ain't gonna happen on tape.-H.Gerst

Thanks
    Waaayyy back in July 2016, using the online electronic submission process, I submitted a CD collection of 12 songs with me as author using the SR Form.
    Last week I received my official paperwork Certificate of Registration - some 20 months later.

As I was applying, I screen-captured every page and subsequent emails.

The cost of my SR submission was $55.

I submitted each as an .mp3 file and added notes wherever possible, including the year of authorship as part of the song name.

I received instant confirmation upon completion of the online form, as well as instant email confirmation. Also received an email confirmation which listed
    each song title, file type and size, and all attached notes.

I received a letter from the Library of Congress 45 days prior to receiving my official Certificate of Registration - asking me to confirm my submission
    or make changes.

I'm currently working on my next CD (12 more songs), but several side projects have slowed the progress.
    Failure - - the path of least persistence
    And, uh, oh - hire a decorator to come in here quick, 'cause... DAMN.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to spantini For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanks for the helpful context, spantini.

Twenty months..."Your US tax dollars at work."

Thanks for clarifying the combination of submissions and the sequence in which you filed them. And thanks for suggesting screen captures for every page.

You wrote, "I submitted each as an .mp3 file and added notes wherever possible, including the year of authorship as part of the song name."

Q1. Besides adding year of authorship in the song name, did you add it to the song FILE name? Are there other ways to attach notes as you mention?

You wrote, "I received instant confirmation upon completion of the online form, as well as instant email confirmation. Also received an email confirmation which listed each song title, file type and size, and all attached notes."

Q2. Did you feel amply protected upon receipt of these EMAIL confirmations. In other words, would you feel confident in posting one of the songs to YouTube?

You wrote, "...but several side projects have slowed the progress."
    The story of my life...

...as i get older, my equipment gets smaller

HA! My studio occupies a spare bedroom, so if we say it affects "bedroom activities" THAT'S what we mean, right? Actually, I often think about my first demo studio built around a Teac A-3340S 1/4" 4-track. My digital equipment provides 50 times the capabilities, has cost me 1/4 of what I spent on "real equipment", and when I shut down, 90% of it DISAPPEARS! Too good. I don't even have to dust anything.

Thanks
    interesting....I just got a piece of paper too this week. it was a nicer looking form but not as impressive as the 80's stuff with stamped brail signed signatures etc....but this version is better than the last couple I got.
    This one says Oct 17, 2017...so 5 months plus a few days for this one too.

I dont know if its really as necessary as it used to be? maybe thats just me thinking that.

As you mentioned with all the digital signatures embedded into recording tracks on a pc theres a lot of "proof" of dates, where as the olden golden days time stamps werent automatic, as on tape or scrolls.

Maybe a waste of money?

if it's not happening in the room, it ain't gonna happen on tape.-H.Gerst

6. The Following User Says Thank You to CoolCat For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Overthere View Post
    Thanks for the helpful context, spantini.

You wrote, "I submitted each as an .mp3 file and added notes wherever possible, including the year of authorship as part of the song name."

Q1. Besides adding year of authorship in the song name, did you add it to the song FILE name? Are there other ways to attach notes as you mention?

No. The .mp3 filenames were just the song titles. There is a section where you give your submission (as a whole) a name for reference, then drop down and list each song separately on it's own line. This is where I tagged the years of authorship onto the ends of the song titles.

If I recall correctly, about halfway through the process there is a section specifically for adding additional information you may want to include - a sort of 'liner notes' thing. You can write whatever you want there.

You wrote, "I received instant confirmation upon completion of the online form, as well as instant email confirmation. Also received an email confirmation which listed each song title, file type and size, and all attached notes."

Q2. Did you feel amply protected upon receipt of these EMAIL confirmations. In other words, would you feel confident in posting one of the songs to YouTube?

The email confirmations left me with a sense of assurance and protection. However.. if at this point you have plans to go commercial with your works, I would not put any of them out in a public domain until I had received my actual Certificate of Registration.

...as i get older, my equipment gets smaller[/I]

HA! My studio occupies a spare bedroom, so if we say it affects "bedroom activities" THAT'S what we mean, right? Actually, I often think about my first demo studio built around a Teac A-3340S 1/4" 4-track. My digital equipment provides 50 times the capabilities, has cost me 1/4 of what I spent on "real equipment", and when I shut down, 90% of it DISAPPEARS! Too good. I don't even have to dust anything.

My first home studio was built around a Tascam 38 1/2" 8-Track & 2 4-channel dbx units so I could use the 1/2" master tapes from the other home studios our bands had been using.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to spantini For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanks for the follow-up. Man, waiting 20 months (or even 5 months as reported by CoolCat) is a problem. In the interest of posting to YouTube SOON, consider the following:

I've been thinking about YouTube as sort of a second-line authentication, or Proof of Authorship. By that I mean, if I post a song demo on YouTube on April 1, 2018 that would seem to establish 4/1/18 as a date of authorship - proof that would further substantiate the date claimed in my Copyright application. I think it would be difficult for someone else to claim ownership of that song after 4/1/18.

Please do punch holes in this theory whereever possible.

A LITTLE TEAC ANALOG BACKGROUND

As for your TASCAM 38 1/2" 8-track, I was always "Planning & Saving" for a TEAC 80-8 but never got there. I used to diagram how to bounce tracks and take full advantage of those extra tracks. And if I ever made any "real money" I would buy a 16-track 85-16. I used to dream about that thing! It looked soooo good in that pale gray color...

And BTW, I ran two 2-channel rack-mount dbx noise reduction units with my A-3340S. One unit didn't work quite right; I could never get it calibrated perfectly via the little screwdriver adjusters. Just another example of "it's always sumthin" and another reason why I love mixing "in the box" without all the gear of yesteryear.

Thanks
    Well, I can't offer legal advice. Technically, your material is copyrighted as soon as you've created (authored) it - as was mentioned in an earlier post - but it's not registered yet.
    As long as YouTube might still be around between now and when you do register your song(s), that would be an additional record (kinda like the ol' mail-it-to-yourself-and-keep-it-unopened thing).

As I said earlier, I wouldn't put my unregistered song(s) up on YouTube, but that's me - a personal choice. I don't have the same goals as you. And in reality, what you do put out there will most likely not be ripped off.

Also mentioned earlier - waiting until they're registered before putting them into the public domain will greatly simplify any claims of infringement which you may bring towards those who may have ripped off your goods.

So after all that, I think you've got the bug and are going to post some YouTube vids..

11. The Following User Says Thank You to spantini For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    As a counterpoint, I freely post my music anywhere and/or everywhere on the internet before I register my tunes. I'm not worried about anyone stealing my tunes.

As an added note, be sure to register your tunes with a performing rights organization like BMI. If your tune is played anywhere, you should get paid for it. Joining a PRO is free.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Chili For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    CoolCat- Im with you. this is unnecessary nowadays.

Just publish it through. . anyone.
    BandCamp. YouTube. SoundCloud. Wherever. And press a CDR with datestamps.

Then... when you think your UNIQUE idea got ripped off by Farrell... you have all the proof you need.

Plus- you are WAY more likely to get some listens that way.. or maybe even someone wanting to licence a sample!
    $55 to register your copyright?! IMO that is a waste of $55. Publishing with CD Baby will get you the same protection for $35.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to camn For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by spantini View Post
    ...I wouldn't put my unregistered song(s) up on YouTube, but that's me - a personal choice.
    Just to be clear, I would only post to YouTube if I had already submitted the LoC electronic copyright application.

...what you do put out there will most likely not be ripped off.
    Man, I want to believe that but if the material is good I think it's a target for getting lifted. If you care to, please tell me more about why you think otherwise.

...waiting until they're registered before putting them into the public domain will greatly simplify any claims...
    Agreed. My intention is to register electronically on Monday and receive electronic confirmation of the registration later that day (as you described several posts earlier). Then on Wednesday I'd upload a basic music performance video to YouTube (so the YouTube upload happens a day or two after I receive confirmation of my electronic submission to the Library of Congress).

Do you, spantini, or does anybody else see a problem with that?

So after all that, I think you've got the bug and are going to post some YouTube vids..
    Yes indeedy but only after submitting the electronic registration as described above.

Thread Information