Does anyone write atheist based songs?

That's a good question WebCyan.

To a point.

Belief in 'some way or another' is a common theme in all music.

Whether it's a religion you observe, one you despise, or one you are unsure of. Or, maybe you just don't give a shit.

All are viable paths IMO.

As long as despise doesn't turn to hate, and doubt to blind faith.

I'm 'athiest' I guess, as much as I hate labels. But, you can call me athiest.

I write songs sure, I can't say they are based on this mystical thing called 'atheism'.

Why are you wondering? That's a tough question to answer.

i kinda don't see the point! i mean as an aethiest, i don't feel the need to strengthen my belief in aethism by writing songs about it, kinda like a strength in silence attitude....but i have to tell you i saw this thread title and just had to laugh... very nice ..hehehe

How could anybody write athiest songs?

There's nothing to write about... if you know what I mean. ;)

good point buck62.'

Emeric, that sounded more like a poem than anything. :)

I wouldnt call myslef atheist. I used to be a die-hard christian, but after really examining the viability of somthing like that I've come to the conclusion that theres a chance its all not true.

Although...I guess I could lean either way given appropriate evidence.

Personally I can't stand musicians who write "Christian" songs. They get in a rut of not caring how the music sounds but instead focus only on the "message". They figure that if they have a good message then the music doesn't matter...

There are a few "Christian" groups that are musically good/great. Jars of CLay are decent. DC Talk had a good song with "Jesus Freak". Earthsuit, Sarah Brightman are ok. And POD is actually pretty good if youre into that whole nu-metal thing(which I am.).

But for the most part Christian groups are quite boring...

Well, enough ranting for one night. I think I'll go pop in my Marilyn Manson CD.

The whole concept of religious songs is retarded....

In my never- to- be- humble opinion, I think that music is music and should be kept in it's regular catoloque.....

I don't care if your singing about the lord "saving you", or If your singing about bangin' some dirty broads......

A Rock song is a Rock song...

A Rap song is a Rap song

A Country song is a Country song.......

If we had to have a label for every message a song is carrying, imagine what your local tower records would look like.....

There would be a love song, christian song, hate song, scorned love song, rapping about gangsters section.......

Retarded.

BG

Im atheist(thou i hate lables) the only problem is when you tell someone they say "what, your a devil worshipper". And then i get defensive and say rude/crude things about "their" god. It's really a bunch of bullshit, i would op to be satanist anyday over christian or catholic or jahoba. Right now we are at war because of relgion......plain and simple.I am my own god.

Maybe your agnostic WEBCYAN.

Is that the next thread title?

Does anyone write agnostic based songs?

I think you shouldn't be superficial about writing "christian" songs. People get tired of hearing the same theme over and over again... "god is good.. god is good.. god is good"

I got a song that is not a "christian song" but it clearly shows that I believe. "I know"

My point is: If your a songwriter, you write about life (atheist or not). If life just happens to come across some religion... so be it.. put it in the song.

I got family members that won't listen to Stairway...because it says "and she's buying a stairway to heaven"... What?!?!? those kind of people are superficial...

I think if a song doesn't mention god... it doesn't mean anything good nor bad, and if our lyrics take it for granted that there is a god, most people wouldn't even notice (and usually those who WOULD call it blasphemy)

I heard one song a couple days ago called "God is Great."

The verse: "God is great! Yes he is!"

The chorus(sung by a choir): "Oh Oh! God is great!"

How fucking original!!!

Even when I was Christian I liked music based on the sonic qulaity and not on the "message".

I remember just a few days ago I was at work(Quiizno's) and one of the guys I work with was with me. Anyway, we had the radio on and Marilyn Manson's cover of "Tainted Love" came on. I think its a really catchy song and they did a great job of redoing it.

The first thing the guy I work with said was "That's terrible..."
To which I replied "What is?"

He basically went on telling me that it was a shame the radio station was playing that song since Manson is a satanist.

Um....who cares? Its music.. He could be satanist, atheist, christian, hindu. Its the music that matters, not the artists religion!

Basically we got into a little argument over that. After a while he said, "So, you mean you're not Christian!?" He pretty much assumed that I was, since...he is.

Well, I did write a song that points to the complete sham of Christianity, does that count as an aetheist song?

Although I have yet to hear any Christian based music that even resembles anything I would consider "well written" (probably has something to do with dogma: like they can't stray beyond certain musical boundaries without fear of satanic retribution; which is probably why Stryper was labeled satanic by Christians) I've heard many good things from headbangers about Trouble.. apparently they produced some really dark and heavy music..

Cy

My old band had a couple of satanic songs, titles: From god to satan, Into Blasphemy, Converge to darkness, Envocation of blasphemy(pt2)

I used to, until I was converted...now I don't. IMO Christian music has become so secularized its not different. Chrisianity isn't supposed to be an entertainment industry. Any attempts Ive seen to combine the two have decreased Christianity's viability. I was even in a Christian Heavy Metal band and noticed things were not really in line with Christs teachings.
IM going to avoid a debate here but I will say that
I think that people should write music that shares an experience or a thought, it can be totally stupid to, but as long as its produced well , I can enjoy it. Has anyone here ever heard of twisted radio by Bob Rivers? You have to go and hear his stuff, but make sure you can laugh out loud, oh and make sure your bladder is relatively empty...just in case.
Music is suppose to be enjoyable to you as an individual, so if you steer clear of things that are offensive you will be much happier, regardless of what road you walk or don't walk. The very freedom that allows my beliefs to be expressed is the same freedom you have for expression. Even people who have alot of hate in their hearts have rights to express, were humans remember, but there should be some limits to what songs might advocate to certain immature age groups, who can't differentiate between Gumby being real or not. I would definitetly protest a song that advocates and has specific technical instructions on how to kill thousands of people with a $19.95 kit. Its not like CNN hasn't done that already;0)

Anyhow...
Peace,
Dennis

I think Atomictoyz is on the right trail...
Christian music can be beautiful, but putting in the context of the entertainment industry just doesn't work. The whole point of religeous music is worship. Music that is almost a prayer. I'm sorry, but pop music isn't supposed to be a prayer...

I guess most people would call me very religeous. I go to church every Sunday, and fulfill many other responsibilities within my church. But I cannot stand pop Christian music. I find it insipid, disengenous, and shallow. Rock music is supposed to irreverant. Both kinds of music have an appropriate time and place.

Examples of Christian music that I love:

"Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring", or just about anything by Bach
"From Cumorah's Hill" by Steven Kapp Perry
"God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen", "Silent Night", "Oh Little Town of Bethlehem", or many other Christmas songs.

Anyway, you get the jist...

And by the way.... I love Bob Rivers and Twisted Radio!

Aaron
http://www.aaroncheney.com

Back