Copyrighting songs

heartbreaker197

I've just gotten into recording and have recorded a few of my originals. I'm just curious to what peoples opinions are on registering copyrights? I've posted songs online and though I think it would be a slim chance that someone would "steal" my songs and actually find success with them; I'm still considering registering the copyrights. What's everyones practice with this?

Good basic info here . I personally register my songs once they are recorded and released for sale. Up until that point I don't bother. I also register them with ASCAP after they are on a cd for sale. I don't make much but every little bit helps.

cello_pudding said:
i figure my songs suck enough that since no one wants to listen, no one wants to copy. i'm pretty much in the clear

I would hope you're not writing sucky songs on purpose. ;)

Anyway, if you put it out there, someone will like it, and someone may try to steal it.

Put your stuff out there! You might be surprised.

If I have a song that I feel is very good and which I am planning to pass around (to vocalists who will sing it, musicians who may record it, publishers, etc) I copyright it as soon as I complete my original demo (on which I play and sing everything). Fortunately (or perhaps unfortunately), I don't write enough very good songs for this to be an expensive problem :eek:

If it is material that is not as strong and which I likely won't be agressively promoting - then I wait until I have a dozen or so songs and then copyright as a collective work.

As costly as copyrights have gotten (when I filed my first copyright - back in the 70's I think it was $10) I try to be selective about how often I copyright.

I would never post material in an open venue or even share it with people I did not trust (and I don't trust many people) unless it is copyrighted.

Back