Context sensitive rhyming

Is there a service that offers rhyming in context?

You have a word for which you need a rhyme.

But the rhyme has to be in a certain context.

For example, the world slice. (random)

I know I can go to Rhymezone and get lots of rhymes.

But if I need a rhyme in the context of say sailing, or motorcycles, or gardening; is there anything out there that is smart enough to filter that or cull it to a certain context?

Just wondering.

I doubt it.

There is a program called Master Writer that might do what you want. I've never used it.

Just noticed it is a subscription. I hate that business model.

Thanks Chili - that could be of use to me.

It appears to be pretty deep.

Probably overkill for me and my meager meanderings.

Something something something slice / don't trust the wind just 'cause the weather's nice

Something something something slice / two wheels have trouble on black ice

Something something something slice / half acre farms do not suffice

I cannot begin to imagine how someone would program such a system. As you can see from the examples, the rhyming word itself has nothing to do with the context of the lyric. Within your song, such a couplet could be exactly what you need, but how would you create a software that could figure that out?

Something something something slice / don't trust the wind just 'cause the weather's nice

Something something something slice / two wheels have trouble on black ice

Something something something slice / half acre farms do not suffice

I cannot begin to imagine how someone would program such a system. As you can see from the examples, the rhyming word itself has nothing to do with the context of the lyric. Within your song, such a couplet could be exactly what you need, but how would you create a software that could figure that out?

It could be done with a few input filters.
But the database would have to be indexed properly, not just a static list.
That is where the logic comes in.
{INPUT} Word
{CONTEXT} Nautical
{Search Result} Rhyme(s) for "Word" were not found within that context.

Take the word nuke. There is a nautical term 'fluke' that rhymes well.
But fluke has many other meanings and that is where the context gives it the unique meaning.
What would be sweet is a rhyme unique in the context.
I'm sure it can be done, but probably not much demand for such a thing.

I puked once
on a Nuke sub
Thought it was a fluke back then
but then I did it again

In actuality, I only puked once, but in all fairness, 90% of the crew was puking that day. Most were seasick, the rest were mercy-puking. :D
And back to your regularly scheduled thread.

It could be done with a few input filters.
But the database would have to be indexed properly, not just a static list.
That is where the logic comes in.
{INPUT} Word
{CONTEXT} Nautical
{Search Result} Rhyme(s) for "Word" were not found within that context.

Take the word nuke. There is a nautical term 'fluke' that rhymes well.
But fluke has many other meanings and that is where the context gives it the unique meaning.
What would be sweet is a rhyme unique in the context.
I'm sure it can be done, but probably not much demand for such a thing.

So what you're looking for a rhyming dictionary with searchable tags then. I guess it wouldn't be technically complex, but there might be a lot of man hours to do the tagging. Doesn't seem a service that would have broad enough appeal for anyone to implement
Unless you could find a way to combine two databases. (one of rhymes and one of tags). Maybe if you could find a rhyming dictionary and a topical dictionary with APIs

So what you're looking for a rhyming dictionary with searchable tags then. I guess it wouldn't be technically complex, but there might be a lot of man hours to do the tagging. Doesn't seem a service that would have broad enough appeal for anyone to implement
Unless you could find a way to combine two databases. (one of rhymes and one of tags). Maybe if you could find a rhyming dictionary and a topical dictionary with APIs

I wish I knew more about web programming. Maybe I will delve into this.

Back