The connection between listening and good songwriting

• Thread starter Deleted member 203901
  • Start date
Hi there,

I just wanted to start this topic about the possible connection between listening and great songwriting. How much songs (especially new songs) should a developing songwriter be listening to on a daily basis in order to develop the listener's perspective of what's a "good" song and what is not? Also, a songwriter usually has his/her's likes and dislikes in terms of genres and styles, so is it best to expose yourself to your genre of choice or to expand to other genres that you have largely avoided thus far (in order to expand your horizons)?

When I was younger, I would listen to a lot of songs before going to bed (easily an average of at least one hour each night.) During this time, I feel that my songwriting was much more melodic and was well received by the listeners. They would specifically comment positively on the song itself (the composition) instead of just the production or voice or instrumentation, etc. I have noticed this possible pattern that as I have grown older, I no longer listen to songs (especially new songs) as much as I did when I was younger. As a result, I might have been going downhill in terms of my song compositional quality? I find that I get much less positive comments feedback on the song composition itself (and more on the production aspect, guitar parts, instrumentation...by the way, I'm also a guitarist)...

Maybe this link that I'm trying to create here is just a theory and there are possibly plenty of other factors that come into the equation other than listening hours and quality? What do you think? Thanks!

Well, try as I might I can't stop listening.
I do have control over the music to which I listen and typically I find film and tv scores the most entertaining.
I've learned that the music I grew up with created emotional bonds that hold to this day.
They are like dope that I can take when ever I want.
I rarely play Revolver, prob because I have it memorized.
But when i hear any of it by chance it's like a dog whistle that perks my ears.
At this point in my life I tend to create from a void.
I believe in free association.
My MO is to pick up the guitar, press record and let my mind flow.
Then later, if something seems plausible I pursue it.
I find that movement creates emotion and drumming is my goto movement crutch.
Keep pushing.

I don't really put any stock in listening versus not listening to stuff. I do actively play and cover other peoples stuff because (for me) it is a surefire way to a) become a better player b) break out of a rut - and keep moving c) learn a lot about song structure and instrumentation. For me the benefits on my own stuff have been pretty big.

I work out all my tunes on either piano or guitar, end to end, including lyrics and then video a couple "live" performances of it recorded on phone. If it holds my interest I give it the full band treatment, if it doesn't I have a nice time capsule of what I was thinking or feeling at the time.

Back