Brahms True Dissonance Thing

Snowman999

I can really use some open-minded opinions on this. I always send a copy of my songs to select friends to guide me on my out-of-key notes. It's always my vocals. I knew the guitar parts were weird, because of the fluid acoustic chords. I didn't know they were dissonant. There is good dissonance, and if it seems like it's meant to be that way, I'm fine with it. I actually like these guitar parts. But, if they just sound like I turned on the guitar and didn't bother tuning, I'll scrap the parts and start again. I do know the last long held out vocal note is out. I doubled the vocal and created what I thought was a harmony. I'm tone deaf... Yes, I am.

His full sentence is: you could be doing the Brahms true dissonance thing, and then it's ok.

02 Closer To God by Frances Farmer My Hero | Free Listening on SoundCloud

THANKS in advance.

"Brahms dissonance"?

I'm not sure about Brahms, but there is some weirdness happening here and there.

For example, at around 1 minute a crunchy guitar comes in on the left. At times it sounds like it is not playing the same chords as the rest of the music.

Likewise with the guitar solo around 2.20. There seems to be a mismatch between melody and underlying structure

At around 3.07 there is a vocal harmony that doesn't quite work, and the string melody that follows sounds off.

As an aside, you have effects on your voice that you don't really need. Your voice is fine, and would carry the song perfectly well without the effects.

Last edited:
There is some weirdness happening here and there.
Some of the timing is off on the drum/guitar interaction and it's quite noticeable.
For example, at around 1 minute a crunchy guitar comes in on the left. At times it sounds like it is not playing the same chords as the rest of the music.
Funnily enough, I quite like that bit. Sometimes, some mild dissonance can be quite ear catching or it can be ear jarring. I think it works OK here.

Likewise with the guitar solo around 2.20. There seems to be a mismatch between melody and underlying structure
Again, I quite liked that. I wouldn't have if it had gone on for 2 or 3 minutes but it took the song to a different place for just the right length of time.
At around 3.07 there is a vocal harmony that doesn't quite work, and the string melody that follows sounds off.
Ha ha, I liked that string melody. But I agree with gekko about that vocal harmony. It isn't even dissonant ~ it's out. I'm not sure even a working harmony would work there.
As an aside, you have effects on your voice that you don't really need. Your voice is fine, and would carry the song perfectly well without the effects.
Totally agree on that. The effects on the voice make one notice the effects and they detract from the voice which is actually a nice one. One doesn't hear too many voices in the deeper regions.

Some of the timing is off on the drum/guitar interaction and it's quite noticeable.Funnily enough, I quite like that bit. Sometimes, some mild dissonance can be quite ear catching or it can be ear jarring. I think it works OK here.

I have to check the drums now. I think I might have played them live. Which is probably the cause.

I spent the day redoing the guitars (though I kept the originals) and I'm not sure if I like the new version better. The break is pretty cool depending on what speakers you listen to it on. I love it in my headphones and mixing speakers. But, my little Sony computer plug in it sounds like crap.

This song will never end. I think it's a good song. But, I HATE IT!

Here's the new version. I'm told the ending falls apart.

Closer To God Final Mix by Frances Farmer My Hero | Free Listening on SoundCloud

Last edited:
Back