Best way to write a song

Lindy93

Whats the best way to start writing music? I'm a new musician; I have always wanted to sing and I can play acoustic guitar, but when it comes to writing songs I'm kind of lost. I have lots of lyrics written out already for songs, but my problem is with the melody and trying to figure out different tunes and beats, along with notes for singing. I'm afraid I don't have enough creativity xD I have a rough start done for one, and it sounds pretty good to me, but I have no idea how to do something different. its like that melody and beat is the only thing I can really think of. And unfortunately I don't have a ton of connections quite yet to help me out on it because I have just moved to a new area. I am also a perfectionist, so I tend to rewrite things over and over and over again. Any help and tips would be appreciated!!

Man, just do what compels you to write. You have it in your head, just find a way to get that down.

Sorry, but if you are not able to play an instrument yet, then learn one. If you are not proficient with stringed instruments or percussion, then use a DAW to create your vision with software.

Either way, if you have something in your head that has worth to you and personally warrants your desire to be recorded, then find a way to do it. Whether finding others to collaborate or doing it yourself, it will be tough for you to 'not' have the ability to show what is in your head without putting it out there in some audio form.

Start now and make it happen. :)

Put the lyrics and the voice away and just try to create a piece of music that's interesting. Then fit / adapt lyrics to it.

A lot of singer/songwriters start from the lyrics, which are usually pretty structured, and so end up with songs that have no real (interesting) music behind them. Chord 2, 3, 4, Chord 2, 3, 4, ad nauseum. Try doing it the other way. Make up some music first. Works for me.

I agree with trying to find something interesting than following the rules.
There's nothing wrong with verse, chorus, verse with a basic rhyming scheme... but not if its forced.

There is no right way or best way to compose - different people approach it different ways. I normaly start with a guitar or keyboard and experiment with chord patterns or riffs until I have somehing that insires me. I then start to hum or "scat" different melody lines over the pattern/riff, eventually I find a melody that works for me and often during that process some words float around until I get a phrase or lyric that I like - and then I build from there

As a novice, the best thing you can do is learn to play other songs - which will give you some understanding of chord progressions, riffs, etc. Perhaps take a song you like by xyz artist and try to write your own lyrics to the existing melody - as you do that, change the melody a little - which can lead to changing the melody a lot (which is writing your own melody.

The best way to be an articulate lyricist is to read a lot and do things to command the english language (or whatever your native tougue may be) - and the best way to learn how to create melody or harmony (chord progressions) is to listen and learn a lot of songs.

Not only is there no one way to compose, but I think almost everyone uses different ways for different songs. Sometimes, a vocal melody comes to my mind first. Other songs I've written started with a cool guitar riff, others started with a drum beat or a bass riff. Often, I have a very vague style or feel in my head with no music at all, but in my head I know I'm going to write "this kind of tune". From there, I can actually force it to happen. Sometimes, I wake up with a finished tune in my head. There is no one way.

One thing for sure, though. There is no try. There is only do.

You may be in the best position to write because you don't know how. You're not saddled with hang ups or trying to be like anything else. The first thing I'd suggest is that you write for yourself and don't give a shit if anyone else likes it or not. I know that goes against what most needy insecure songwriters and musicians are all about, but try it. It's liberating. If you can break away from giving a damn if anyone else likes it, you will be free to do whatever you want. Maybe that's something totally different, maybe it's the same 3 chord pop song that's been written a million times. Who cares? Just do whatever you want.

You may be in the best position to write because you don't know how.
There's actually a lot of sense in that, if you're still around, Lindy93.
While it may be suggested to you that you try a writing course or something similar, my inclination is to say go the other way.
Don't initially reach for the moon, try something really simple and short and go from there.
You say you've always wanted to sing which implies that you can't or haven't yet. If it's the former, is that one of the things getting in your way ?

Sometimes I start with the music.....Sometimes I start with the vocal melody......Sometimes I start with the Lyrics......

When I start with the lyrics, I first work them into a melody. Then I come up with a chord progression that supports the melody. Then I come up with a rhythm that supports the progression.

This is what works for me.

I am also a perfectionist. I have learned that at some point, you have to draw the line or the song will never, ever be finished.

I can also say that for every song I write that actually makes it to fruition, there's 10 that I work on to a point, then realize it doesn't work and scrap it. When I scrap the song, I still save it...I just don't work on it any further. I now have a collection of unfinished songs that has become a "library" of parts. If I think a song sucks, sometimes I can use the chorus, for example, in another song I'm working on....Or maybe the verse. You get the idea.

You have to just jump in and start. Like Greg said....Don't write for others.....Write for yourself. Don't be too concerned with what sucks and what doesn't. Just write what you want/feel and you will grow as a songwriter.

FWIW, I write formulaic songs (Typical structures) and non-formulaic songs.....I personally don't care if they follow a formula or not.....I don't care if they're cliche or not.....I only care if I like them. If other people don't like them.....that's OK.....There's another band playing down the road that they can go see.....If other people do like them..Great....We can all rock out together and have a blast

......or...........

......with a pencil. That way, you can always erase it.

Nome sane?

Whats the best way to start writing music? I'm a new musician; I have always wanted to sing and I can play acoustic guitar, but when it comes to writing songs I'm kind of lost. I have lots of lyrics written out already for songs, but my problem is with the melody and trying to figure out different tunes and beats, along with notes for singing. I'm afraid I don't have enough creativity xD I have a rough start done for one, and it sounds pretty good to me, but I have no idea how to do something different. its like that melody and beat is the only thing I can really think of. And unfortunately I don't have a ton of connections quite yet to help me out on it because I have just moved to a new area. I am also a perfectionist, so I tend to rewrite things over and over and over again. Any help and tips would be appreciated!!

Put down the gear, put down the instruments, put down the pen and paper. Go to work, go for a walk, or do something repetitive like yardwork or something, preferably by yourself. Think about what you love about music. Think about if you were to make the perfect song or album, what would it sound like? What would it be about? What would it "feel" like? Think about it until you can almost hear it in your head. Then grab a guitar and figure it out.

As someone still trying to learn and deal with their own hang ups this seems impossible, but also maybe the best advice I've ever seen.

You may be in the best position to write because you don't know how. You're not saddled with hang ups or trying to be like anything else. The first thing I'd suggest is that you write for yourself and don't give a shit if anyone else likes it or not. I know that goes against what most needy insecure songwriters and musicians are all about, but try it. It's liberating. If you can break away from giving a damn if anyone else likes it, you will be free to do whatever you want. Maybe that's something totally different, maybe it's the same 3 chord pop song that's been written a million times. Who cares? Just do whatever you want.

Whatever triggers your creativity. To me, it is walking around in mountains for hours. After a while music just pops up in my head clearer than ever. I sometimes record ideas on my phone while I'm up there and transcribe it to the guitar etc when I get back home.

To others, creativity might be triggered by strolling around in a city, napping in a hammock, drinking, scubadiving etc. I remember reading Townes Van Zandt felt the most inspired in dark motel rooms. Bottom line is, it differs a lot from person to person. Perhaps even more so than most things.

And like a wise guy once said (can't remember who it was): Remember nobody really knows what they're doing. There are two ways to go with that information. One is to be afraid of it, the other one is to be liberated by it.

Last edited:
A great way to build songwriting skills are to work on conceptual projects and recordings. Conceptual work can be based on stories or experience, and it's the most effective way to engage your listeners. Songwriting isn't the easiest, but it will come easier when you build your song based around a topic, so you have a point of reference when you write. The beat will give you the concepts mood, and based on the mood you can build your topic.
Your chorus will be the main part of the song you should start writing, your verse will be a description of your chorus. Great songwriting is like writing an essay, you have the intro(chorus) the body(the verse). Its no perfect way to write a song, but always keep your songs, you can build onto them when you get inspired to write! You can also use your favorite artist's song in reference to yours, and create your own song in a unique way with their idea or concepts you hear in music.

That really depends. I used to write melody first when I was younger. The problem I got then was to decide what the song was about. These days I try to find a title first, and try to build around it. I find it easier with lyrics this way. You could also begin with a riff and build the song from there.

There is no right way or best way to compose - different people approach it different ways. I normaly start with a guitar or keyboard and experiment with chord patterns or riffs until I have somehing that insires me. I then start to hum or "scat" different melody lines over the pattern/riff, eventually I find a melody that works for me and often during that process some words float around until I get a phrase or lyric that I like - and then I build from there

As a novice, the best thing you can do is learn to play other songs - which will give you some understanding of chord progressions, riffs, etc. Perhaps take a song you like by xyz and try to write your own lyrics to the existing melody - as you do that, change the melody a little - which can lead to changing the melody a lot (which is writing your own melody.

I ditto Xdrummer.
Since you have your lyrics, I would recommend first finding some chords that fit the feel of what you're going for. From there, you have your backing, and then can add more specific tunes. Try singing over it, or playing over it. I feel more comfortable free styling with my voice than an instrument, so I tend to sing first then play that same tune on my instrument.

So much of making music is personal, which can be good and bad. Good, because you have so much freedom to experiment. But bad because there's no definite route to follow. You just have to do you and keep trying different things and see what works, what doesn't, and just keep improving each time.

Back