Anyone ever write music in their sleep?

I have done that before, I woke up with a tune in my head, but unfortunately I didn't have any way to track it, I don't really know how to write that stuff out, so I lost it xD I thought it was the craziest thing though. Also any inspirations for lyrics tend to come to me at night while i'm supposed to be going to sleep. I always keep my ipod with me with the notepad on it and jot down any lyrics that come into my head.

Tried writing down the stuff that goes through my head as I'm just nodding off. Great stuff as I'm about to go to sleep...Then when I wake up I read this crack-addled random gibberish and wonder who changed what I'd written the night before...:D

Keith Richards wrote Satisfaction while nodding off. When he woke up the next day he completely forgot it. When he checked his cassette recorder, the cassette was at the end. He rewound the tape and luckily he hit record before falling asleep.

Keith Richards wrote Satisfaction while nodding off.
I saw an interview some years ago in which Keith Richards played "Satisfaction" as it had originally come to him. It was an acoustic blues and it was so utterly different to how we've come to hear and love the song once the Stones got hold of it and changed it. But it was undeniably "Satisfaction."

It's happened to me a few times. And reading this thread reminded me. I actually remember once, many years ago, I had a dream that I was playing a video game. It was some kind of Sonic the Hedgehog style game, and the stage music was fast-paced and energetic. I remembered it when I woke up and got right to it.
View attachment Oomph.mp3
It's just an experiment, so it's only a minute and a half long. It's a drum n' bass piece. And after I made the initial bit of music I wanted to jazz it up by adding sound bytes from a movie called "Emperor of The North" (which is a movie my brother and I can pretty much recite verbatim).

I hear songs in my sleep all the time, and they're completely finished pieces... last night, there was one orchestrated with full horn section, big rhythm section (2 keys, 2 guitars, bass, drums, lead and backup vocals) and even strings! A real blow-the-roof-off Earth Wind & Fire type song, but totally original and really hot.

I wish I could hook up a DAW to my head with an EEG machine.

I've had migraines on and off for the past week (a lifelong hereditary condition). Each morning, I'd wake up with a headache AND a new piece of music in my head. Unfortunately, up until this morning, they've all been garbage. However, this morning it was something good -- I woke up, rushed to my computer, turned it on and captured a sequence in Sonar. I suppose it justifies the pain of the migraine. However, now the music is stuck in my head as an earworm.

But that leads to the next question: is there are connection between migraines and composition?

Back