acoustic guitar chunes

is there a place in modern 'popular' music for acoustic guitars?

• no, acoustic music is totally gay

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
john mayer is successful, why can't you be? so is conor oberst... so is a few other people.

My electric Guitar is called Chump Berry.

Chump hardly ever gets used and sounds like shit. He cost £150 and I've since spent £300 making the little prick playable. Only recently started using him because of recording.

I still hate Chump.

On the other hand, my acoustics... my beautiful children Calida Corazon and Norman 'Woody' Woods.... Bubba, old man Arthur Spencer (age 70+) and the lovely Pandora Mandola... they have all given me nothing but joy since the day I bought them.

Anyway I bet if you could poll everybody on the planet the sound of acoustic guitar would be more popular...

Handsome Al said:
My electric Guitar is called Chump Berry.

Chump hardly ever gets used and sounds like shit. He cost £150 and I've since spent £300 making the little prick playable. Only recently started using him because of recording.

I still hate Chump.

On the other hand, my acoustics... my beautiful children Calida Corazon and Norman 'Woody' Woods.... Bubba, old man Arthur Spencer (age 70+) and the lovely Pandora Mandola... they have all given me nothing but joy since the day I bought them.

Anyway I bet if you could poll everybody on the planet the sound of acoustic guitar would be more popular...

I like the sound of a good acoustic mixed with the sound of a good nylon classical.....

always room for an acoustic i guess.. I find that there is a lot of rock records who just gets so much better by a little acoustic track in the end..

I think I voted in your poll before reading your post. I only listen to solo acoustic guitarist anymore. I hate it when a player mucks up the song by singing in it. Maybe that's why I don't listen to to much radio music anymore. The loss of melody and passion in todays music just does'nt do anything for me.

Toker41 said:
We have discussed doing a half/half type CD, but are afraid it will not be accepted by listeners because metal heads only want heavy tunes, and easy listeners only want soft acoustic stuff.

Go listen to "Jar of Flies" by AIC right now, and then come back and tell me why "metal heads" only want heavy tunes.

Done properly, acoustic music can be just as "heavy" as a distorted electic...

That's my two cents anyway.......

I record (Digital 8 track) in the spare room with a singer. I usually put on several tracks of electric guitar, drums, bass etc etc. But we are playing live (for the first time) this Saturday and whilst we were working out how to do this (as we did not want to recruit anyone else to the band) the singer said that we ought to try the set acoustically. Fortunately, I had my acoustic fitted with a bridge pick up many years ago. I stuck it through a stereo chorus box and onto two amps whilst the singer went through reverb and delay onto a single amp. We started playing and it sounded so full and lush and very acoutsic so we decided that for live performances, we will do acoutic sets and for recording - well we will record what we feel like.

There will always be a place for the acoustic guitar - especially with live performances

Wilko
It is always raining in New Zealand !

Weighing in late once again....

If you haven't heard it, listen to Eva Cassidy's "Live at Blues Alley". Awesome vocals, beautiful acoustic guitar - a really great album. Her version of Sting's Fields of Gold is really something.

Just my 2 cents....

I may be wrong, but I've kinda noticed that when big time acts, old and new, want to really WOW their audience, they'll do something acoustic. And it often goes over hugely. Of course we have historical markers, on acoustic vs. electric. Dylan went electric, thus enraging a large part of his fan base. Then there's R.E.M., having become largely an acoustic act, when 'Automatic for the People' was released, then "returning to their roots" for 'Monster'.

All of my early original songs that I want to record, whenever I'm properly geared up to do so, were created on acoustic guitar, simply because I didn't yet own any electric guitars. There's also quite a bit that I probably wouldn't have created, had I not be jamming on an electric, and fiddling with the controls on my POD. Maybe sometime in the future, I'll be in a position to offer acoustic recordings of some of my early original songs, that had been created on an acoustic guitar in the first place. Kind of like "this is how it originally sounded, when I first created it."

Matt

Last edited:
I'm over the electric used in a heavy way. I like an acoustic rhythm, chugging beat and a little electric lead over the top. I like acoustic. But I dont really like the sound of acoustic guitars with pickups. Mic'd is better for me

Monkey Allen said:
I'm over the electric used in a heavy way. I like an acoustic rhythm, chugging beat and a little electric lead over the top. I like acoustic. But I dont really like the sound of acoustic guitars with pickups. Mic'd is better for me

I've got one song, so far, that was created with acoustic guitars, and will be recorded with acoustics, given the nature of the song. My only problem, at this point, is that both of my acoustics (Epiphone Texan & Kamen Montana 12-string) were stolen in 1998. Since then, I've collected 3 electric guitars, 1 electric bass and 1 acoustic/electric bass.

My first recording effort is going to be more oriented toward the surf guitar style, so I can hold off a bit longer, on finding suitable replacement 6 & 12-string acoustics. The one song, mentioned above, will definitely have to wait until I've got another acoustic 12-string, as it's the lead part.

Matt

Anyone remember Hosea Feliciano?.....And Stephen Stills played a mean accoustic....There was a lot of Acoustic mixed in with Electric in the 70's...As far as I am concerned, that IS the ERA of eclectic styles and passion...such passion! I have a friend who plays the Acoustic, or least ways,more so years back. He plays the electric more nowdays...but when he would play on the Acoustic, sometimes my mouth would drop open (I'm thinking,sometimes out loud,"How'd he do that?!!!) Amazing! Oh yeah, how about Charro? Now that Hoochie Couchie could play!!! And she rarely broke a nail!......... :D

I don't have any electric songs. I got sick of setting up the amp and plugging in. Also, I have lived in a stupid unit for years, so noise isn't something I can get away with. I'd be a much better singer and player if I felt I could make noise. I would love to learn the harmonica, but I don't want to annoy people in the other units. Still, I am waiting for delivery of a Presonus Firebox, and I recently got my first condenser mic...so, bugger 'em, I am going to have to record all these songs the way I want to.

...and hey, you can have a lot of variety with an acoustic guitar (not saying, of course, that an electric can't). I don't particularly always like the stuff they play, but for variety, look at what Tenacious D manage to do with 2 acoustics. Not to put them in the same realm of other serious songwriters, but I do have to tip my hat to the creativity...even if I don't care for them all that much.

Once in a while when the power goes out for a few hours- and everything gets really quiet - and you've gotta use candles at night - you play some acoustic guitar and it sounds so different than usual. Makes me wonder what it'd be like for us guitarists if the power didn't come back on.

Tim

Back