View Poll Results: is there a place in modern 'popular' music for acoustic guitars?

Voters
185. You may not vote on this poll
  • no, acoustic music is totally gay

0 0%
  • leave them to those country n' western people

1 0.54%
  • bob dylan...hmm that went out ages ago, right?

1 0.54%
  • its ok, but not on its own

18 9.73%
  • i love it! a lot of the time, anyway!!!

126 68.11%
  • acoustic rocks!! all the time!!! with nothing else!!!!!

39 21.08%
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: acoustic guitar chunes

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    Most people don't realize that there is acoustic guitar in a lot of todays music. It lays in the background of more songs then you would think.
    Last edited by Toker41; 02-25-2005 at 14:40.
    " I'm a joker, I'm a smoker........."
    My recordings:
    Toker's Music

Thanks
    The best album I've gotten with just voice and acoustic guitar is Patty Griffin's, Living with Ghosts. It's incredible! 1000 kisses is even better, but there are a few more instruments.

Corey

Thanks
    I guess I will add my two cents... I love acoustic guitar. If the MTV unplugged thing hadn't gotten out of hand, it was one of my favorite things about MTV. Now there is nothing about MTV that even remotely interests me. But back on topic, acoustic music sounds more "soulful", at least to me. It's easy to play a brilliant, lightning fast lead on an electric axe. Try that same thing on an acoustic. If you can pull it off, you are a guitar god....
    Instead of a Do Not Disturb Sign, I need one that says "Already Disturbed. Proceed With Caution".

Thanks
    I have always played in "Hard rock/metal" bands. Now that I have dubbed myself a "solo artist", I have found myself writing alot more acoustic songs. I am currently putting together a CD with a song writing buddy. We have 20 songs between us so far, and half of them are acoustic. We have discussed doing a half/half type CD, but are afraid it will not be accepted by listeners because metal heads only want heavy tunes, and easy listeners only want soft acoustic stuff. At this time we are looking at cutting the acoustic songs down to 2 for the CD, and maybe doing an acoustic EP. If anyone likes acoustic guitar songs here is the first one we have finished recording. Don't know if it will make the cut to the CD. Would welcome any feedback.
    Check out the song "HOPES FADING" at:

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/...d=2878&alid=-1

Long live the acoustic!!
    " I'm a joker, I'm a smoker........."
    My recordings:
    Toker's Music

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rokket
    Now there is nothing about MTV that even remotely interests me.
    Doesn't the M in MTV stand for "music"?

Thanks
    elliott smith anyone?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Layla Nahar
    Doesn't the M in MTV stand for "music"?
    No, Mogadon

Thanks

Smile

Elliott Smith yeah!

I was just thinking that.

I don't mean to offend anyone here, but isn't it boring to think of music as a way to make money all the time?
    I'm not saying there's something wrong with making money from your music, but as you sit down to write a song - isn't the result always better and more interesting if you write for the sake of writing? For the sake of making yourself go "wow! did I just come up with that?".

I wish I could say that (all) successfull music is written that way, but as we all know that's not true. It's mostly utter shit. Well...

Personally I don't even understand how anyone can write a song that sounds ok to them. Who want's to make a mediocre song???

Just to clarify, I'm not saying I'm one of the people who can write amazing songs, just expressing my opinion

Thanks
    Well; I'm trying to write songs that can make an income. But creativity is in the driving seat. The moneymaker ghost is sitting in the back row. I have to be satisfied with the result. Have to like it.
    It's more like that guy on the back row keeps yelling these small messages all the time like.... "Remember catchy now. Catchy!" "no more than a 12 second intro"
    Things like that. To keep it within the formula.
    But hey; a genious song might even break the boundaries of the mainstream pop formula and still make it to the charts. But a mediocre song that breaks the formula won't get past the A&R's. Simple as that.
    At least; thats what I strive for.
    [SIZE=1][URL=http://wizardsongs.net/]www.wizardsongs.net[/URL] - Power Mac G5 dual 2.5 Ghz, 2.5 Gb ram, logic pro 7.01, Mackie ONYX 400F, AKG C 414 B-XL II, rackmounted Glyph´s 250GB HD´s Firewire 800, Fostex PM-1, Korg Trinity, Motu MX4, BFD, EZD, Akoustic piano, VG II[/SIZE]

Thanks
    Everything I write these days is done on acoustic. It is just much easier to pickup the acoustic and not worry about any settings (not much to fiddle with). I can mess around while watching tv, camping, or take it with me on vacation. If you get a few people playing along the sound can be amazing. Plus it is really hard to fake somebody out while playing an acoustic. What you hear is what you get.

I love my $50 acoustic guitar, one of the more sound invesments I've made in my life!

Thread Information