Vintage Shure M63/M68 preamp into IPhone6

Mr.Pitman

So I have the Shure mic preamp/EQ sitting in my closet when I got to thinking about using it to do some recording in GB on my IPhone6.

There are a few different outputs on the back of the M63 (EQ) and M68 (pre).

Do I want to void any high gain outputs? If nothing less I could just go straight out of the head phone jack and into the IPhone's headphone jack.

Here are the output options from the M63 EQ.

image.jpg

Would it be better to go from the mic output or the line output into my IPhone 6's 3.5mm jack?

If nothing less I could just go straight out of the head phone jack and into the IPhone's headphone jack.

isn't that sending one device output to another device's output?
I don't think that will work - The only hard wire input on the i phone would be the usb.....there is something they make for the I phone called "IRig" which might suit your purposes....

Last edited:
isn't that sending one device output to another device's output?
I don't think that will work - The only hard wire input on the i phone would be the usb.....there is something they make for the I phone called "IRig" which might suit your purposes....

Thanks for the info. Isn't the iRIG just and impedance matching device for plugging guitars into an iPhone?

I know the iPhone's 3.5mm has a mic input going in as the stock earbuds have mics built into them.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. Isn't the iRIG just and impedance matching device for plugging guitars into an iPhone?

I know the iPhone's 3.5mm has a mic input going in as the stock earbuds have mics built into them.

um...I don't think the earbuds have mics...I think they have speakers.....also an output device....

I was just saying the the IRIG would get you a 1/4" line in .....just saying....

Pitman, I have that same preamp (actually it's an M67), and yes, you can use the headphone out as a line output. It should be fine to go into the iRig I would think.

The Apple issued earphones do have a mic on them , If you are driving you can use them for hands free..

That said, I did some digging and it appears for a standard mic ( no phantom power needed ) This converter from XLR to 3.5 mm jack will allegedly allow you to have mic input from your iPhone headphone jack...Haven't done it myself but "I read it on the internets" :D seems logical that this would most likely work as if you look at the jack on the headphones it is identical and it's bringing in a mic signal to the phone for phone calls.

Back