Using an iPad as an effects processor?

Don Tonberry

I got an iPad this Christmas and am loving it so far. I've downloaded some great music production apps for it (mainly for guitars) and was trying to figure out if I could use it as an effects processor for my guitar amp, seeing as how some people use laptops live I thought I could try something similar.

My current setup is as follows; I'm using the Lightning to USB connection kit to connect a USB guitar cable to my iPad. This is connected to the effects loop send of my amp. The headphone out on my iPad is connected to the effects loop return on the amp. Now I get output just fine and all of the various effects work. But when I turn all of the effects off and listen to what should be just my amp's sound, the sound coming out is slightly changed (mids and treble sound off) compared to if I plug straight into my amp with nothing in the loop. Could this be because the USB guitar cable expects an instrument input but I am feeding it a line level signal (from the effects loop) therefore there is an impedance mismatch and this is causing the change in tone? Would using a USB interface with correct line ins and outs with my iPad produce better results?

If anybody has any experience with this or a similar setup it would be greatly appreciated if you could help.

Back