Recording with a Tablet is an Actual Thing ?

Biggfoot44

Pardon my ignorance , I am totally new here and to recording .

You can do this ? With a tablet instead of a laptop ?

If so, y'all have my attention . I'm experiencing frustration at my laptop situation , but have a tablet literally new in the box unopened . ( I bought it for a specific use, after it didn't get used for that, it will otherwise sit untouch for at least a year .)

You’re talking about an iPad, right? I haven’t heard of any other tablets that can record with an interface at least.

But yes, all tablets should at least be able to run a DAW of some sort.

There are some mics that you can plug in to your phone or tablet. Some interfaces, too, but again, I’ve only seen them for Apple.

If I were to get a used iPad strictly for this ( ie not use for phone or internet ) what model/ flavor/ vintage/ generation/ however these things are described would I need ?

I was somewhat wrong about Apple only.

You can see mics here http://https://www.sweetwater.com/c1060--iPad_iPhone_Microphones

Some mics can record on Android devices.

Same thing with interfaces, though most of them work for Apple only http://https://www.sweetwater.com/store/best/ipad_interfaces

It doesn’t matter what type of iPad you get. The only thing to pay attention to is the old 30 pin connector vs the lightning connection. The latter will be future proof. The former is being phased out more and more every day.

In 1990-ish, we were recording and editing on Mac II machines.
So any pad, or any phone, will suffice as every one of them is 1000X better.

It's a mature technology. Whaddaya wanna do? How much money you got? Just like it's always been.

Taking a quick look at used ones , and their specs . Presumably the GB capacity is an important consideration .
The 4S seems to have a big increase in power over plain 4 . Is the step up to 5 meaningful ? At the overlapping price ranges , I'm finding 4S with 32 and occasionally 64GB , but 5 with only 16 GB . My initial reaction is 4S with larger hard drive, is this viable approach ?

Back at post #4 , I'm just getting error messages when I click the links . Could you gives a few product names, so I can search that way ?

If you already have an Android tablet then check that it supports USB OTG for audio - I think you need Android 5 or newer for this. I've used my Zoom U-44 interface with a Tesco Hudl2 tablet for a quick check but haven't done anything serious with it.

Back at post #4 , I'm just getting error messages when I click the links . Could you gives a few product names, so I can search that way ?

That’s strange. Just look up “iPad interface” or “iPad microphone” on Sweetwater. Should give you android options as well.

There’s too many products for me to name a few. Just look at them all and choose what suits your fancy.

Reactions: TAE
Short answer is yes, you can record on tablets. Long answer needs to know what software you can live with.

I've recorded audio on a 10 year old iPod Touch with Twisted Wave and an adapter that lets me use powered and non-powered XLR mics.

I've recorded on an Amazon Fire with a USB adapter and USB mic.

Currently I am using a Surface 3 (used, $150) and Adobe Audition (Version 3.0 for my needs) and a USB mic. Audition is my editor of choice for broadcast radio, etc. I seldom need more than three tracks and I do use a regular mouse, not a pen. Highly portable, silent operation and I can quickly add a bit of audio directly in with the mic.

I would suggest the Surface over the iPad because you can insert a MicroSD card and it has a USB port. I have a terrabyte MicroSD in mine to hold old audio files and shows so I can keep the main storage pretty empty. I also havew a bunch of freeware apps on the MicroSD (Libre Office, VLC, Irfanview, Cleaner, Filezilla, etc.) that are all "portabled" by portablepps.com

However, how well it will work with a musician's DAW is something else. Someday I'll get a Surface Pro!

Short answer is yes, you can record on tablets. Long answer needs to know what software you can live with.

I've recorded audio on a 10 year old iPod Touch with Twisted Wave and an adapter that lets me use powered and non-powered XLR mics.

I've recorded on an Amazon Fire with a USB adapter and USB mic.

Currently I am using a Surface 3 (used, $150) and Adobe Audition (Version 3.0 for my needs) and a USB mic. Audition is my editor of choice for broadcast radio, etc. I seldom need more than Bluestacks Kodi Lucky Patcher three tracks and I do use a regular mouse, not a pen. Highly portable, silent operation and I can quickly add a bit of audio directly in with the mic.

I would suggest the Surface over the iPad because you can insert a MicroSD card and it has a USB port. I have a terrabyte MicroSD in mine to hold old audio files and shows so I can keep the main storage pretty empty. I also havew a bunch of freeware apps on the MicroSD (Libre Office, VLC, Irfanview, Cleaner, Filezilla, etc.) that are all "portabled" by portablepps.com

However, how well it will work with a musician's DAW is something else. Someday I'll get a Surface Pro!
how can you record on Amazon Fire with a USB adapter and a micro USB? I could not I do not know where is the problem?

Last edited:
While I believe that such equipment has "enough" power to work on a very modest project I still keep thinking that this is not for the faint of the heart; but if a tablet is all you have then go for that. I wouldn't advise anyone to use a chisel to tighten a screw but I already found myself doing such things one or two times in my life.

Hmmmm 18 in 18 out whoda thunk? Moto thunk
Seems like putting fancy wheels on a chariot. It may looks cool but won't turn it in a Ferrari. 😏

As far as I could understand the OP has a bad computer and is willing to try his brand new tablet as a replacement without spend any cash. I think that if it doesn't work and it comes to the point of open his wallet he could resolve his issue spending too much less: with something around $200 he can buy a decent used DESKTOP computer (yeah, I am one one those people who doesn't consider laptops for doing serious things, fight me) in Craig's list or eBay. I am saying that because 20 years ago I already recorded my tunes in a regular 2GB RAM PC with an onboard soundcard (no dedicated interface). With $200 you can buy a 5 years desktop PC too much better than this.

Reactions: TAE
Back