Old fart taking a Tablet!

ecc83

Going to pickup the Acer A1-840FHD today as it looks to be the best overall value (no 3G phone but not bothered, it will rarely leave the house) .

Is there a remote DAW app for Android that I might use?

Dave.

(Assuming Windows ) Microsoft actually has Remote Desktop App. Last time I tried it, it worked OK, but the screen size difference made it a tad difficult. Doesn't cost anything to try.

You do have to create a user to log in as with a password. If your current user doesn't have a password, you will have to create it. Read through MS on remote desktop setup, once that is done, the app will be much easier to setup.

(Assuming Windows ) Microsoft actually has Remote Desktop App. Last time I tried it, it worked OK, but the screen size difference made it a tad difficult. Doesn't cost anything to try.

You do have to create a user to log in as with a password. If your current user doesn't have a password, you will have to create it. Read through MS on remote desktop setup, once that is done, the app will be much easier to setup.

Heh! Been on it a bloody hour or more. Can't even get email setup yet!

And I thought laptops were hard work!

Err? And just to be clear. I only want to run a bit of say Cubase, not the whole of Win7!

Dave.

Last edited:
Err? And just to be clear. I only want to run a bit of say Cubase, not the whole of Win7!

Dave.

Right, but once you set it up, it would be just the DAW open and you get full functionality. Just a suggestion.

Can you clarify what you mean by "remote DAW app"-- are you looking for an actual DAW to run on your Android tablet, or just an app to let you remotely control a DAW that's running on another computer on your WiFi network-- and if the latter, which OS/DAW are you looking to remotely control?

Can you clarify what you mean by "remote DAW app"-- are you looking for an actual DAW to run on your Android tablet, or just an app to let you remotely control a DAW that's running on another computer on your WiFi network-- and if the latter, which OS/DAW are you looking to remotely control?

Initially WiFi remote of some functions, faders, transport say, of Cubase LE6, probably Reaper. in Win 7/64. I guess what I mean is an app for an Android that works like a MIDI controller?

A full blown music app for the tablet would be great. How do you go about an interface?

Dave.

I'm using an iPad but here's a link to 7 daws for Android Cubasis is the first one they discuss...Good Luck!

Actually, 5 of the 7 are for iOS-- only 2 (TouchDAW and Audio Evolution Mobile) are for Android. TouchDAW looks good for using control surfaces to remotely control DAWs running on other computers, whereas Audio Evolution Mobile is an actual DAW. I haven't tried either one yet, but both look promising-- as well as very affordable.

A full blown music app for the tablet would be great. How do you go about an interface?

Dave.

I haven't done much with my Android tablet yet (a Nook HD+ with standard Android bootable from an SD card), because I primarily use some Yamaha keyboards that have a USB-MIDI interface and Yamaha hasn't put out a USB-MIDI driver for Android yet (and possibly never will).

With my iPad I have to use Apple's Camera Connection Kit so I can connect the USB cable from a keyboard to the iPad.

With my Windows tablet I have to use a micro-USB-to-host cable with a USB-A-female-to-USB-B-male adapter.

Is that what you meant by interface? Edit: I don't have an actual audio/MIDI/USB interface device yet, since right now I just plug multiple keyboards into my computer's USB ports. But I can connect only one keyboard at a time to my tablets, so I may eventually need to get an interface device.

I think I may buy TouchDAW to try it out for remotely controlling a DAW on my Windows computer. And I may also buy Audio Evolution Mobile to try it out as a DAW.

Touchdaw takes a little getting use to, but it works, confirmed it. Make sure you get the rtpMIDI. installation.

Free to try by the way.

Touchdaw takes a little getting use to, but it works, confirmed it. Make sure you get the rtpMIDI. installation.

Free to try by the way.

I downloaded the free trial versions of TouchDAW and Audio Evolution Mobile, but haven't tried them yet.

I also downloaded a free trial of another DAW called Caustic 3, which also looks very good.

For iPad users there's a nice MIDI controller program called MIDI Designer that lets you create your own controller screens with dials, buttons, sliders, x-y pads, etc.

For Windows tablet users there's a MIDI controller program called Metro MIDI Mogrifier, although I haven't figured out how to use it yet!

My thanks to all of you and it looks as tho' there will be plenty to explore once I hve this thing running.

But THAT seems a long way off! I cannot seem to download anything, cannot get a "conventional" browser page up to insert sites. Google is a joke! Everything but a basic Google search box!

Can't get the QWERTY uo much of the time (I hope there is a way to plug in a con ventional keyboard AT LEAST till I get all the fekkin; registartion done.

Can't, it seems to much of buggerall unless I give it my bank details...Bugger off!

A year or so ago I bought a very cheap tablet just for the craic and could not get on with that but put it down to cost. I gave it to my grandsons. This Acer IS better but really no easier to get setup.

Dave.

Go to the Google store and type it in. There you will see an option to download. Applications install a lot easier from the store (automatic). If you do it from a website, it requires a little more effort, which maybe at this point, you may not want to deal with.

It will take some getting use to as tablets are worse than learning Windows 8.

Try OSC Commander. It may be friendlier for Reaper than for Cubase, but there might be a Cubase layout available for it somewhere.

I've used it briefly to remotely control both Reaper and RME's TotalMix from an Android tablet. It's pretty slick, I must say.

Is Midi Designer works with FL Studio as well? I just got an iPad Air and hopefully one day I can use iMPC as a drum machine through FL Studio but now I'm looking for something like that

I will give it a try today but I found a video which explains a bit about how it works with FL studio. Very smooth!

Back