New Category in User forums by brand

Yes. I use an Android tablet as an interface quite often both in the workshop, the home and at gigs for various tasks. I have never had to research a method or question. They are pretty much straight forward and all questions regarding the use of them can be had easily from info that is already here.

I wouldn't use an iPad to prop up a wonky table leg but thats cos iPads and all things apple are a triumph of form over function and insist that I can only do it their way. I don't like that as either a method or marketing model. If you are truly interested in the future of music on the tablet. Open source is were it is at and where it will end up.

We do not need a tablet sub board. There are too many boards here already Count them.... 44 of em...

You are right about consolidating other boards or retiring them though.

Android > apple

Android > apple

Yes. Not only in terms of flexibility, usability, reliability but also global market share and growth.

Loads of people love Apple OS. Thats fine. It is never going to be the platform for future development or growth however and there are other reasons than my personal dislike of their business model and product functionality.

Having said that I will never likely rely on Apple or a tablet for anything other than a sketch pad as recording or composing interface. Same as I wouldn't rely on my camera phone for serious quality images. I do use my Android phone for taking pics though and it has made my life easier in the workshop. Bottom line both Apple and Android have their place as a potential music making and recording tool but they are light years away from being comparable to even basic dedicated kit.. Same with other media such as pics, video, etc... It is what it is. Anyone one who believes it is close to being all it claims is falling for the same hype as that Pono nonsense... But why am I not surprised.

The reason Apple is so far ahead in mobile recording is because of the latency issue. Developers produce products for the iOS for that reason and that reason only. When the Windows OS and Android OS address that problem, then developers will produce products for them. You'd be surprised at the sheer number of quality music apps out there for the iOS. Don't understand why Microsoft and the Android folks ignore this segment of the market.

The reason Apple is so far ahead in mobile recording is because of the latency issue. Developers produce products for the iOS for that reason and that reason only. When the Windows OS and Android OS address that problem, then developers will produce products for them. You'd be surprised at the sheer number of quality music apps out there for the iOS. Don't understand why Microsoft and the Android folks ignore this segment of the market.

Good for them. The last thing we need is more unskilled people recording more bad music.

Good for them. The last thing we need is more unskilled people recording more bad music.
LOL! You have to change with times Gerg. What if you'd taken the position that you'd never switch from analog to digital? Everyone would still be scrimping and saving just to go to big analog studios and record a few songs. This is a viable way for those on limited budgets to make quality recordings. The genie is out of the bottle my friend: unskilled, untalented people are already making shitty recordings, and unfortunately will continue to do so! LOL!:laughings:

LOL! You have to change with times Gerg.:

I embrace all sorts of technology. I'm not some analog purist retard. I just know that some technology facilitates progress, and some technology facilitates suckage. Ipad recording makes it easier for any shmoe to record by making it more convenient and require less skill. It requires less commitment. Music and the art of making it has already been devalued and watered down to it's lowest common denominator. It's already bad enough that any loser with a computer and some cracked software can put his shit all over the internet. This kind of technology doesn't make music better. I will not embrace mediocrity.

Yes. I use an Android tablet as an interface quite often both in the workshop, the home and at gigs for various tasks. I have never had to research a method or question. They are pretty much straight forward and all questions regarding the use of them can be had easily from info that is already here.

I wouldn't use an iPad to prop up a wonky table leg but thats cos iPads and all things apple are a triumph of form over function and insist that I can only do it their way. I don't like that as either a method or marketing model. If you are truly interested in the future of music on the tablet. Open source is were it is at and where it will end up.

We do not need a tablet sub board. There are too many boards here already Count them.... 44 of em...

You are right about consolidating other boards or retiring them though.

Cool... I get ya. Pono was clearly a no no. Though I am right there with you on the apple hype, I have crossed over into the depths of it's quagmire ...but I NEVER buy it new...The reason I personally think the ipad apps are going to, for the most part, be superior is there is a bigger monetary carrot for the developers so we are going to see things for the ipad and apple we won't see for android or windows platform... maybe I'm wrong ..and I'm cool with that.

I am blown away by what is available to the recording and musician world today that would have cost us 100's of thousands of dollars 30 years ago.

Interestingly the best Hammond B3 app out there (The Vb3) is not available for the iPad...only windows.

I'm jumping in and seeing where it goes... This site survives on advertising and the suggestion was mainly a hint to the folks that own it that it would benefit them to start a section for it. I don't think that it is a maybe but an absolute for sure magnet to bring many more new members..which means higher value for ads which means HR.com stays alive.

I mean Holy Shit! It's just keeps on getting better! What can't you do with an iPad?..... Puppy! :D

Regarding SEO, yes we can create an ipad forum and watch all kinds of new people come here :-) Veterans here who are old school might scoff at this new cheap low quality way of recording. But at the same time it is liberating in a way and fun, capturing a moment in rehearsal or on the go. I'll discuss with Calimoose. We need to search for existing threads to populate the forum with.

They can scoff but if they think it's low quality they just don't know what they don't know....

Fella, it is still low quality. At least compared to the expectations I have and my history in musical reproduction and analysis.

It is pretty neat I'll give you that. A load of bells and whistles in one neat little app and one neat little tablet and it is portable but it is still low quality compared to even my lowest spec laptop. Aside from the different ways in which ios and Android handle music processing which is a software thing and changing, the simple hardware limitations dictate that it always will be. At least until we have super conductors in the high street.

I mean Holy Shit! It's just keeps on getting better! What can't you do with an iPad?..... Puppy! :D

lol @ the classic aadvertising overpromise..

Does it have a key combination to turn an ipad into a killer music production tool..?

Fella, it is still low quality. At least compared to the expectations I have and my history in musical reproduction and analysis.

It is pretty neat I'll give you that. A load of bells and whistles in one neat little app and one neat little tablet and it is portable but it is still low quality compared to even my lowest spec laptop. Aside from the different ways in which ios and Android handle music processing which is a software thing and changing, the simple hardware limitations dictate that it always will be. At least until we have super conductors in the high street.

It's only high quality to n00bs that don't know any better, and this place loves it's clueless n00bs, so......

Regarding the original question, we need to see if there is enough interest here. Maybe a more general 'mobile' production forum encompassing iOS, and android platforms and also low tech means (cheap tape recorder etc.).

SOS magazine has had a regular feature called 'App Works' for a couple of years now. Device recording is huge and growing. If this site had a forum for it, it would grow.

I still don't see why it couldn't be called mobile recording and lump laptops, Portastudios, and Tablets all together since mobile recording does have its own set of problems beyond just an IPad/Android/Surface (I did say that huh) applications.

I embrace all sorts of technology. I'm not some analog purist retard. I just know that some technology facilitates progress, and some technology facilitates suckage. Ipad recording makes it easier for any shmoe to record by making it more convenient and require less skill. It requires less commitment. Music and the art of making it has already been devalued and watered down to it's lowest common denominator. It's already bad enough that any loser with a computer and some cracked software can put his shit all over the internet. This kind of technology doesn't make music better. I will not embrace mediocrity.

You're right about device recording opening up the field to a bigger group of people. But the tool itself isn't mediocre. You or I could easily make the music we're making today with an iPad. I've got a bigger worry about the iPad stuff, though. The industry's catering like crazy to the new big market for apps, which means less energy's going into development of stuff designed for desktop recording. There's a chance that the kids are going to become such a big market for home recording that dinosaurs like me won't have the same kind of toys to play with we've been used to.

I still don't see why it couldn't be called mobile recording and lump laptops, Portastudios, and Tablets all together since mobile recording does have its own set of problems beyond just an IPad/Android/Surface (I did say that huh) applications.

Sure, it's easily sensible and doable. Downside: laptops aren't apptops. It's the app revolution that would drive a new forum like this. Question: how many people do we get asking questions about portastudios?

Back