Multitrack Recording With A Tablet

StrandedLegion

I'm thinking of getting a tablet for doing some recording, but I'm not sure if it will work like I want it. I was hoping to get some advice before spending any money. Here's what I want to do.

I want to be able to do multitrack recording on a tablet, so that I can take it with me to record band practice. This is strictly for capturing purposes. I plan to download the audio files to my desktop, and do all the mixing and mastering there. The idea for the tablet is strictly that it's portable, so I can record in any location.

I already have a DAW and an audio interface, a Behringer UMC404HD. The only hangup is this. Most of the tablets I've seen have a microUBS input, whereas the Behringer is a regular USB. Would I be able to simply get an adapter, so that I could plug the Behringer into the microUSB, or would that not be compatible?

My other question is, do you need different DAW software for a tablet?

Hands down, the very best DAW for tablet or phone is "MultiTrack DAW" by Harmonicdog on the app store. I have tried so many others and they don't hold a candle to this DAW. There is so many useful stuff packed into this app it is utterly amazing. I have been using this to record my rehearsals for years now. It can record in 48K if you choose, buss and master FX, great export and sharing options, great upgrades available and so much more. I'm not associated with this app in any way. I just really support this app after trying out so many others. Here is the link:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/multitrack-daw/id329322101?mt=8

I'm thinking of getting a tablet for doing some recording, but I'm not sure if it will work like I want it. I was hoping to get some advice before spending any money. Here's what I want to do.

I want to be able to do multitrack recording on a tablet, so that I can take it with me to record band practice. This is strictly for capturing purposes. I plan to download the audio files to my desktop, and do all the mixing and mastering there. The idea for the tablet is strictly that it's portable, so I can record in any location.

I already have a DAW and an audio interface, a Behringer UMC404HD. The only hangup is this. Most of the tablets I've seen have a microUBS input, whereas the Behringer is a regular USB. Would I be able to simply get an adapter, so that I could plug the Behringer into the microUSB, or would that not be compatible?

My other question is, do you need different DAW software for a tablet?

The only real choices for true tablet are Ipad when it comes to processing audio. Android has not developed support to resolve latency issues etc. If money is no object, get an Ipad pro or air at a minimum with 64gb or more. If laptop or PC is used instead, the options depend on the OS you are using.

Update your 404 interface with the newest firmware. This will help with any noise and related issues with IOS compatibility.

Get a powered USB hub, plug the 404 into the hub then use a lightning to USB etc.
There are two great applications which will allow true multitrack input recording using the 404, one is Cubasis from Steinberg, the other is Auria. I have both and use both as they have pros and cons for each. Auria is super easy to setup and will look and act a lot like your existing DAW so recording and processing will be familiar.

You can use Auria to record multiple tracks, great for band recordings and do full mix downs to final if you wanted, or you can export tracks individually or in a batch to your DAW of choice to complete final processing and mixdown.

The software mentioned by the other person above is great software but its not a multitrack DAW, more for recording 2 channels etc., think of it as something like audacity or any simple recording app. Not at all what you want to record your band with IMO.

With Auria, its a full on DAW, uses plugins for EQ, compression, reverb etc. Some you can buy and add and some come with the app. There is a pro version of Auria which supports midi etc. Cubasis does a lot of things similar but has a differnt feel. Its Cubase for IOS and works very well. Cubasis also comes with plugins and also allows purchase for more choices. I think recording and mixing to final product, you can make some phenominal demos and even final mixes with Auria which is probably a more advanced DAW as far as features. If you want to use your own DAW, Auria supports exporting tracks and does it very easily. I use Presonus Studio One 3 and have zero issues recording, mixing , processing and exporting to Studio One from Auria. I also use a Presonus 1818 vsl interface which I have had for a few years and can be purchased around $200 now. They have great mic pre's an offer remote control using the Ipad but with some limitations due to Apple's newest IOS updates.

You probably can't record a band with only 4 mics, I would say minimaly you would need 8 interfaces but just depends on how you record or what you are trying to capture sound wise. Good luck!

The only real choices for true tablet are Ipad when it comes to processing audio.

I have an Air 2 and I mix for a live band with it using Master Fader and the DL1608. I would like to do some high quality multitrack recording of the band too but complete noob with no idea. I just bought my iPad a few months ago so I could help the band with the FOH mix, and I do not even have a smart phone. I just got a Roku recently and that was a big thing. Slow adopter here. I am still using a JVC SD camcorder with horribly compressed and slightly tinny sound.

What hardware would I need to record with this Auria besides the iPad? Presumably it needs a mixer... or maybe I am misunderstanding. I am still new at this.

Will it work simultaneously with Master Fader controlling the PA? Or am I completely missing the point?

I have considered setting up Master Fader to generate aux send (5 and 6 are still available) but that limits my recording to stereo and I still need something to capture audio. I cannot really stick my iPad into the mixer to establish a hard link for the recording while mixing the FOH and neither can I really depend on Master Fader for the record mix while also running FOH.

What I was thinking is some sort of wireless setup with multiple small cameras and multiple small microphones that can be unobtrusively clipped to the walls or furniture etc. in strategic locations and captured on some sort of device that receives their wireless signals. Does that exist? Or do I just use multiple discrete devices and mix them in post-processing?

The only real choices for true tablet are Ipad when it comes to processing audio. Android has not developed support to resolve latency issues etc. If money is no object, get an Ipad pro or air at a minimum with 64gb or more. If laptop or PC is used instead, the options depend on the OS you are using.

Update your 404 interface with the newest firmware. This will help with any noise and related issues with IOS compatibility.

Get a powered USB hub, plug the 404 into the hub then use a lightning to USB etc.
There are two great applications which will allow true multitrack input recording using the 404, one is Cubasis from Steinberg, the other is Auria. I have both and use both as they have pros and cons for each. Auria is super easy to setup and will look and act a lot like your existing DAW so recording and processing will be familiar.

You can use Auria to record multiple tracks, great for band recordings and do full mix downs to final if you wanted, or you can export tracks individually or in a batch to your DAW of choice to complete final processing and mixdown.

The software mentioned by the other person above is great software but its not a multitrack DAW, more for recording 2 channels etc., think of it as something like audacity or any simple recording app. Not at all what you want to record your band with IMO.

With Auria, its a full on DAW, uses plugins for EQ, compression, reverb etc. Some you can buy and add and some come with the app. There is a pro version of Auria which supports midi etc. Cubasis does a lot of things similar but has a differnt feel. Its Cubase for IOS and works very well. Cubasis also comes with plugins and also allows purchase for more choices. I think recording and mixing to final product, you can make some phenominal demos and even final mixes with Auria which is probably a more advanced DAW as far as features. If you want to use your own DAW, Auria supports exporting tracks and does it very easily. I use Presonus Studio One 3 and have zero issues recording, mixing , processing and exporting to Studio One from Auria. I also use a Presonus 1818 vsl interface which I have had for a few years and can be purchased around $200 now. They have great mic pre's an offer remote control using the Ipad but with some limitations due to Apple's newest IOS updates.

You probably can't record a band with only 4 mics, I would say minimaly you would need 8 interfaces but just depends on how you record or what you are trying to capture sound wise. Good luck!

This.

I’ve moved my entire home studio to iOS music production, my ProTools desktop rig is in a box in the closet. I use an iPad Air 2 and like [MENTION=158499]waterbound[/MENTION] I have both Auria Pro & Cubasis 2. Auria is my main DAW, it’s like the maker WaveMachine Labs beat Avid to the punch by putting out a de facto Pro Tools iOS app. It is familiar, easy to use and it’s no joke-it sounds professional and with the integration of FabFilter plugins (available to purchase in the in App Store) and a PSP channel strip on every channel it’s capable of anything a laptop with a DAW can do.

Remember, the newer iPads are as powerful now as laptops were 3-5 years ago. I’m going to upgrade to the next Pro model that comes out but my Air 2 has enough CPU to do whatever I’ve thrown at it. Cubasis is more MIDI centric, but because the price of apps are so low compared to desktop software I have both. Auria Pro is $50 (though it’s often on sale), Cubasis about the same, the FabFilter plugins in Auria are like $30 each while on desktop they’re $200 each...and its the same code, same plugin.

I began recording on Tascam PortaStudio’s and used the 488 mkII 8 track machine for years, so the tactile, touch interface of the iPad is something I really dig. It’s a pro recording setup on a slate the size of a magazine...

Very cool! I would imagine the newer Ipad Pro's are even better, I have also been thinking of picking up the new 11" pro and waiting for better deals to come around but might be awhile :)
Post back if you get the new version, dying to know how the GUI looks for Auria or Cubasis, BIAS etc.

I don't have any experience with MF and or DL1608 etc. I can say that some mixers are now multitrack capable and support more than 2 channels like older USB mixers.
The newer Presonus i-series allows you to utilize multiple interfaces within Auria, Cubasis etc., anything IOS compliant will be supported which is probably anything new.

Back