iphone 7+ and Focusrite Saffire 6usb (Scarlett 2i2) how to connect?

cfg

I have an iphone 7+. I would like to connect my Saffire 6usb. I contacted Focusrite customer service to ask if this was possible, and they said yes, and provided this link for more info: Can I use my Scarlett 2i2 with iPad? – Focusrite Audio Engineering

The link says I need a Lightning to USB camera adapter, but it really doesn't explain what gets plugged in where. If the Saffire usb out goes into the camera adapter, and the camera adapter goes into the iphone, and if the iphone can't power the Saffire, how does the Saffire (or Scarlett) get power? I wish Focusrite would have included a picture.

The topic you linked to explains it. You use a powered hub, so you effective give your phone multiple USB outputs, the hub to phone one powers the phone, the 2i2 then also gets it power from the hub. Trouble is that while it will, as they say, probably work. The issue is if the app you use can access an external input. That will be a gamble.

Thanks for the reply. So it sounds like I need not one but two adapters to make this work, The Lightning to USB 3 camera, and a powered hub. Some quick reading indicates that powered usb hubs come in various configurations (#of outlets, and different costs). Will any of them work, or do I have to seek out a specific kind?

I use a DIY USB breakout cable.

You probably have a spare USB cable lying around. Strip a bit of the insulation to expose the four wires. Figure out the +5V and 0V lines. Usually, red and black. Cut the red wire and hook the side of the Focusrite up to an external 5V PSU. Connect the black wire to PSU 0V, but don't cut it.

Sometimes you also want to cut the 0V line going to the iPhone to avoid noise.

It ended up being moot, as my Saffire is actually a 1.1usb, not 2, and Focusrite says the 1.1 version won't work with iphone, so I'll have to bite the bullet and buy a new interface.

Back