iOS - Simple Studio Video and Live Gig

mfa

**for the purposes of making the required attachments for folk music festival applications, as well as adding content for fans on social media

I would like to use my nifty new iPhone XS Max for video, and attach some sort of condenser mic (via the phone's one and only power+audio port).
Is there a mic that can plug into the iPhone and NOT need another power source?
For live gig videos, in my mind's eye I am picturing my iPhone in a cradle on top of a tripod with the attached microphone also cradled in a different arm on the same tripod, and all running on the iPhone's battery.
Will this work?
What mic do you suggest I use?
How about those Apogee mics?

There are lots of options out there for that kind of recording. Here's the lineup at one vendor:

iPad/iPhone Microphones | Sweetwater

Not all of those may work with the phone doing video, so you'll have to do some sifting, but the Apogee is one that is designed to be separate from the phone itself. Not sure what length of cable it can support, so that's the thing I'd be concerned about, though, honestly, if you have a mic on the phone, and can put them both above the crowd on a single stand, it's probably not going to be a lot different from putting them on two stands which are tethered together by a slim cable.

Not going to be great, but certainly will likely be a big improvement over the built-in mic.

If you plan on doing any editing before posting the video, why not use a separate audio recorder? It's not that hard to put the audio-only recording together with the phone cam video using the video's audio track as a guide.

For live gig videos, in my mind's eye I am picturing my iPhone in a cradle on top of a tripod with the attached microphone also cradled in a different arm on the same tripod, and all running on the iPhone's battery.

So I bought one of these.....They are refurbed from Behringer direct....usb to lightning adapter...you're golden....I run everything into the mixer and it is brought to the iphone video in lovely stereo.... I'm using a 6s but this config is the schizzel dizzle

a mixer.JPG

Most any non powered usb mic will work for going direct to your iphone audio...problem is all you are going to hear is what that mic picks up and it will be in mono...( edit- I suppose there are stereo usb mics) There are a dozen ways you can do this and achieve great stereo audio....I went down the rabbit hole and what I posted above was what I chose as I am a keyboard player also using a voicelive harmonizer so this is what worked for me..awesomely

Very cool version is Shure MV88. Beautiful microphone designed to capture pure high quality sound. Shure MV88 is a stereo condenser microphone that connects directly to any iOS device.

Back