Hardware for recording multiple inputs into iPad Pro? One channel has to run iRig HD2

Id-man

Hey folks, I've tried asking this question at the IK Multimedia forum and getting crickets for response...maybe you guys are more hip to what I'm trying to accomplish. I've recently acquired an iRig HD2 which I've been using to process electric guitar with IK Multimedia's Amplitube on my iPad Pro and run it to a portable acoustic amp. The tone is awesome, really love it, and I want to start recording some of it right on the iPad - and that's easy enough to do in Garage Band or Amplitube's own multitrack module - the problem is that right now the iRig is only one channel and has only a 1/4" plug, no XLR. I REALLY want to be able to record at least guitar and vocals on two separate tracks which can be panned and EQ'd independently but don't know what HARDWARE to get that will allow me to use all the features of the iRig / Amplitube plus at lease one additional mic input for a dynamic or condenser mic. I tried plugging in a Sonar Power Studio Interface I have which is USB powered but the iPad alone does not have enough power to light it, I probably need something with it's own power supply. All input appreciated.

Last edited:
Let me take one more stab at this - I guess it boils down to 2 questions:
1) What 2-channel interfaces have any of you successfully put in front of an iPad pro with a lightining cable and gotten 2 clean channels?
2) Is there anything proprietary in the iRig HD2 that demands it MUST be used between my guitar and an input in order for Amplitube to process the signal, or could I just plug my electric guitar in dry?
I suspect the iRig is required as it has built in converters (hence the HD designation which is an upgrade from the previous model). If that is the case, how would I get the signal from the iRig HD2 to the interface? It has a stereo headphone out (mini jack), a 1/4" amp out, and a lightning cable.

If the iRig is required because of its converters then I need to decide whether to keep my iRig HD2 and pair it with an inexpensive 2-channel interface - OR - scrap my current setup and upgrade to IK Multimedia's Irig Pro DUO which I know for a fact would work with my iPad. I wish someone on the IK Multimedia forum would have answered this but hey - it's a good question to have documented on this forum too I think. I['m sure I'm not the first person who's needed to know and won't be the last.

I don't have an iPad Pro and don't have the camera kit or whatever expensive adapter is required to try my F8 (in interface mode) with my old iPad Mini, and I think very few folks here are using a setup like you describe. But, if Amplitube appears as a "plugin" within GarageBand, it won't care (or even know about) how the guitar signal is getting into the iPad, so I wouldn't worry about that. If an interface you look at has an INST (typical label) input, you'll be able to use your Amplitube amps and FX.

I did use my iRig HD (the one before "2") with GarageBand and Amplitube on my iPhone a long time ago. There's nothing special about that interface except that it has the Thunderbolt connector built-in. "HD" was the change from an analog iRig that went in through the analog jack (used the mic input) and the a/d conversion was done in the phone/iPad - not particularly well - to an iRig "HD" that had its own a/d converter. I used it without Amplitube just fine not that long ago (newer iPhone) on a collaborative website at a friend's request and it sounded Ok to me. I haven't read what "2" adds, save "new and improved."

Hey thanks for the insights keith.rogers you're probably right. I think manufacturers get off on shrouding as much mystery as possible around their products magical abilities and suggest that trying to intermix with other brands would be like the Ghostbusters crossing their proton streams - you just don't wanna go there - when the truth is the results can often be perfectly adequate. And that's all I'm looking for here - not pristine just adequate. Many years ago I put dry electric guitar directly into my PC's soundcard through the aforementioned Sonar Power Studio interface and processed it with a number of amp and speaker sim plugins with meager results so I know it can be done. This Amplitube app running on my iPad has phenominal sound compared to those old attempts and I don't know how much of it is the iRig hardware vs the Amplitube software itself, so I've been stuck deciding which path to follow - open architecture or stick with IK Multimedia's proprietary hardware. Whatever they're doing sure does sound good. If I can maintain that tone going direct through any old interface then that opens a whole bunch of prospects. Anyone else have input? THANKS!

Back