Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Getting Files FROM Ipads etc.

Thanks

Getting Files FROM Ipads etc.

Sign in to disable this ad
    My school has spent money on iPads for film making etc.
    Currently my class are producing films using these devices in small groups.
    They have to submit the finished film to a state competition.
    They have yet to add their foley and dialogue to the projects and we'll have to navigate using "garageband" to record these aspects.
    All of which is subject to my learning how to do stuff in advance of the kids.
    My big problem at present is getting the projects completed film and indeed files from the iPuds other devices in the school - we're basically a PC school but with a bank of iPuds to "engage" the "touchscreen"/"app", "smartphone" generation.
    We can't "airdrop" files to a PC as far as I know, the iPuds don't have USB etc. It, to me, just as bad as when the iMac 1st came out when CDRs and USB drives weren't commonly & economically available.
    H E L P !!!!

Thanks
    GarageBand for iOS can only export sound files or GarageBand projects for import to the Mac version of GarageBand. You can mute all channels but one then email yourself the result, or play and record the output using a cable direct to the PC's audio input, then rinse and repeat for all channels. Or you can invest in a Mac and the full version of GarageBand. It would be nice if you could go to the Apps screen in iTunes and find a list of audio and MIDI files to copy to your PC but it just doesn't work that way. It only works the Apple way.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but someone should really have researched all this before making the initial outlay. It might have been better to get a number of MS Surface 3s and cheap/free DAW software like Reaper.
    Garry Knight

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by garryknight View Post
    Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but someone should really have researched all this before making the initial outlay.
    This happens all too often . . . someone gets seduced by the trendy stuff and forgets to figure out how it is going to be used and what it needs to be able to do.

Thanks
    Thanks Garryknight & Gekozzed,
    As I suspected.
    I advised against the iPuds and warned about propriety and locked in issues and was overruled by eagerness - again.
    Now I have to try to make the best of it. I'm the tech person for all the PC gear, (80+ computers & lap tops plus 12 IWBs), and one of the keen folk of Appleness is in charge of the iPuds but isn't available to problem solve beyond downloading "apps".
    It's very frustrating - we have 5 different movies made in iMuvie in my room - each on a specific machine, (none can be moved outside Apple land). The kids have to swap machines and record the foley for another group, initially planned for G'band as it runs on the machines but logic now suggests it's not going to work, before final editing and publishing. Next we have to get the completed projects OUT & there's no way except email & the dept. Education's system won't support an email bigger than 8 meg.
    FRUSTRATION!!!
    Thanks for the help.

Thanks
    It doesn't help you move on-going projects around but you CAN get individual audio and .mov files off an iPhone or iPad by using the dreaded iTunes to copy them as a back up. Once they exist on a hard drive on your PC (or, I assume a Mac/Macbook) you can then handle them like any file.

FYI, I've just finished the video edit from hell for a friend of a friend--all the video was shot on iPhones, usually in Portrait orientation, but by transferring the originals I was able to edit on my PC in Premiere Pro and Audition.

Not ideal, but if you can grab them before to much work is done on an iPad you can at least collaborate in the non-iOS environment. It would also be a way to get finished projects into the system to submit for marking.

As second possible solution that MIGHT work...there's a DropBox app for iPhones/iPads now that (in theory) lets you sync stuff to another computer, (Mac or PC). Again, the project files won't be transferable but the raw materials were. FYI, we were going to use this method to transfer the files for the edit project above but, in the end, found another method so never did any more than a quick play.
    That's what I do. I drink and I know things.
    -Tyrion Lannister (and Bobbsy)

Thanks
    Thanks Bobbsy,
    I'll copy that info into a word doc so I can refer to it on the next project. iTines eh? I loathe it, the way it takes over machines and the way Crapple use it to manipulate users but needs must!

Thanks
    Is there no way to set up a temporary WIFI connection, create a folder on the destination machine, copy everything over to a host for further processing?
    DM60 Tunes: The Collection

Thanks
    Schools have this crazy idea that they can teach all sorts on personal devices. The notion kids can make movies or record music on iPads and windows tablets makes me smile, because all they can do is quite basic stuff, and not what people really do. Sure, you can teach the basics of movie making by capturing video on the device, and then doing fairly blunt editing on it. You can record audio in garage band and do similar kinds of stuff, but this is not teaching movie making or recording - it's teaching a process that then has to be re-learned to take it up a level. People who go no further really believe they can put "experienced with movie making" on their CV/resume. Some colleges here do their movie courses using only DSLRs, because they are cheap and easy to use. First time they are given a conventional camera they're totally lost.

Despite what everyone says, touch screens are not the best thing to use for everything!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DM60 View Post
    Is there no way to set up a temporary WIFI connection, create a folder on the destination machine, copy everything over to a host for further processing?
    There is no everything. It's all internal to iOS GarageBand. And there is no internal filesystem available to users. It's all sandboxed.

All you can do is export a project for importing to Garageband on the Mac or export one or more tracks (channels) as sound files. Bobbsy has the best idea, exporting to iTunes. It would mean soloing one track at a time and exporting the audio, copying it from iTunes to the PC, then repeating this for each track. Maybe simply exporting the entire stereo master would suffice if not much extra processing is needed.

I've tried this myself and found that the resulting MP3 files a) have extra space added at the beginning, and b) don't seem to have tempo information written to them. Or, if they do, it still needed audio bending in Studio One to fit the original tempo.
    Garry Knight

Thanks
    There are files, maybe the point is, available to users. I couldn't imagine not being able to export stems to some storage server.

Usually the empty space is so everything can line up from 0 point. That is the traditional way to export. Each stem renders from 0 to end, import files to new DAW and line up to the left. Go find a decent BPM detector. Lot of work, but couldn't be worse than iTunes.
    DM60 Tunes: The Collection

Thread Information