Blue Yeti USB to iOS Device Recording Problems - Crackling Audio when Recording Video

Smorgie66

Hello -

I was looking for a way to record to my iPhone directly from a USB microphone, specifically the Blue Yeti or Blue Snowball. I found the Apple Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adapter which allows you to plug in a USB mic along with an external power cable (which is required in order to power the Yeti) and then it plugs into the iPhone using the lightning cable. I had no issues when recording audio using the built-in Voice Memos app on the iPhone, but when I record a video using the Camera app (or a 3rd party app like ProCam 6), I get a really bad crackling sound in the audio.

The odd thing is the first time I record the audio, it sounds great. But when I do it a second time - with or without the USB mic - the audio is completely shot....really bad cracking noise. I have to reboot the iPhone in order to correct the problem. Then it works the first time only, with subsequent attempts creating the problem again. I am using an iPhone Xs and I have tested this problem out on other iPhone X phones - all have the same problem. There does not seem to be an issue with the iPhone 8. I tried swapping out the adapter for another one to see if it was a faulty adapter, but am experiencing the same issue. It is also a problem with both USB mics I have. There must be an issue with the iPhone X hardware.

It is odd that there are no issues when only doing audio to the voice memo app, but when doing a video, the crackling audio returns.

Has anyone experienced this?

Hello -

I was looking for a way to record to my iPhone directly from a USB microphone, specifically the Blue Yeti or Blue Snowball. I found the Apple Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adapter which allows you to plug in a USB mic along with an external power cable (which is required in order to power the Yeti) and then it plugs into the iPhone using the lightning cable. I had no issues when recording audio using the built-in Voice Memos app on the iPhone, but when I record a video using the Camera app (or a 3rd party app like ProCam 6), I get a really bad crackling sound in the audio.

The odd thing is the first time I record the audio, it sounds great. But when I do it a second time - with or without the USB mic - the audio is completely shot....really bad cracking noise. I have to reboot the iPhone in order to correct the problem. Then it works the first time only, with subsequent attempts creating the problem again. I am using an iPhone Xs and I have tested this problem out on other iPhone X phones - all have the same problem. There does not seem to be an issue with the iPhone 8. I tried swapping out the adapter for another one to see if it was a faulty adapter, but am experiencing the same issue. It is also a problem with both USB mics I have. There must be an issue with the iPhone X hardware.

It is odd that there are no issues when only doing audio to the voice memo app, but when doing a video, the crackling audio returns.

Has anyone experienced this?

Just wondering if you’ve ever figured out or resolved the problem?? I’m having this exact same issue right now with my iPhone XS...

Back