Best setup for recording on the iPad

I'm messing with an iPad and a Tascam im2 stereo mic for live tracks. So far, so good. I'll post some concert tracks from the other night. What I like is its unobtrusiveness and the ability to record after the screen shuts down. I'd like to find an application that records in .wav files though. I'm getting mp4 and mp4a which I need to convert to mp3 before I can do much with them. I'm not a fan of lossy file compression.

OK!

So here's a tune from last Sunday's Vermont Fiddle Orchestra concert. It's a rough live track and you can tell its a bit far away from the musicians. I had the iPad sitting on a podium in the church we were performing in, so the second fiddler's back was to the mics. But the Tascam mics worked out pretty well. I think the iPad is going to work out to be a useful working recorder, if not first quality. It was trouble free and was easy to adjust to limit overloading.

Tune is called Frank's Reel. Two fiddles and me playing backing guitar. The lead fiddler is a kid about 15 years old who is going to end up as another Mark O'Connor if he keeps this up. All I could do to keep up with him.

https://soundcloud.com/glenn-howland-230561145/sunday-concert-franks-reel

Back