Zoom R8 or Tascam DP-02F

Chammy

I searched aroudn for at least the pros and cons and still havent found a thing on these forums so here goes. I am wanting to replace my Roland 840, somethign like that, it's like 13 years old now yikes, and has electronic problems. I am wanting somethign mediocre or simple I guess. Been doing a lot of research nw, on both. But i hear the Tascam DP03 is better now, improvements from the Tascam 02. But I don't want to spend that much, but I want somethign with at least better sound and as an interface for computer work. I don't like breakout boxes for the computer as I dont have a lot of time to mess with all the routing and tweaking of the audio specs and hardware on the computer.

Zoom R8 drums look hard to program,so I got alesis sr16,but R8 only has two inputs to record and only records two tracks or one stereo track at a time,so it throws drums on one stereo track,not fimilar with the tascams you mentioned but I have a tascam gt r1 palmheld that has one stereo track that you can overdub on.go with the one you can budget in.

I searched aroudn for at least the pros and cons and still havent found a thing on these forums so here goes. I am wanting to replace my Roland 840, somethign like that, it's like 13 years old now yikes, and has electronic problems. I am wanting somethign mediocre or simple I guess. Been doing a lot of research nw, on both. But i hear the Tascam DP03 is better now, improvements from the Tascam 02. But I don't want to spend that much, but I want somethign with at least better sound and as an interface for computer work. I don't like breakout boxes for the computer as I dont have a lot of time to mess with all the routing and tweaking of the audio specs and hardware on the computer.

Sorry to sound like a TASCAM rep, b ut the DP-02CD is built like a tank and very user friendly but above all it SOUNDS GREAT !!! I sure wish that Tascam would have made a BIG brother to it (EQ,PANNING,AUX SEND,FADERS) but if you need more than 8 TKS. you can EASILY use the bounce feature ......and I mean EASILY !!! I just cant express how good of an 8 TK. this one is and get the one with the CD burner(my opinion) easy to mix,master and burn on it and at an adeqate volumn !!! Beleive me ,the new ones look like toys after the DP-02. I bought a 2488 NEO recently and just wish they would have incorparated the KNOBS rather than having to go into the parameters (although Im beginning to like it) cause if the data wheel ever gives out you are screwed!!!:eek:

I have the Tascam DP-02 and find that it is easy to use and records faithfully. I am on a tight budget and my time is limited so I need something I can use without having to take a night course to learn how. Even tho I haven't used other machines to compare, I give the DP-02 high marks for what I have gotten from it so far. The bounce feature is a cinch to use and I have recorded a couple of songs with as many as 16 tracks with that particular feature. It burns a c.d. relatively quickly and finalizes it so I can play it on a variety of systems and check out my mix in different sounding players. I have had it for a couple of years and have had no issues with it. It appears to be pretty reliable so far.

My 2 cents worth for your consideration.

I find it a little difficult to edit and if I am burning more than 1 c.d., it gives me an error code that I could never identify. I checked with various forums and no one knew what the code was referring too. I can burn more that 1 c.d. in a row, but I have to go back to the "burn c.d." screen and set it up again. Initially, the machine asks if I'd like to burn another c.d. and I say "yes" and insert the c.d. and the error code comes up and tells me to power down the whole deck. Pain in the ass. So, when it prompts me for a 2nd c.d., I reply "no" and return to the master and go from there back to "burn". My mother wrote and recorded 3 songs and I and my siblings provided back-ups and drums/guitar fills and she was so proud of it that she asked me for copies. I have burned over 50 copies so far and the machine has been flawless except for this one issue. If I had known she was going to want that many copies, I would have taken the master c.d. and had it duplicated but she asked for 5 copies here and 10 copies there and over time it's added up. She's 93 now and suffered a stroke shortly after recording these songs. This machine is priceless just from that simple recording. She was 91 when she wrote and recorded her songs.

Back