A Zoom R24, a Behringer FX200 Vizualizer 3D and DBX 286s. Advice please!

ey_tony

Hopefully one of you guys will be able to help with my request by clarifying something as I'll explain. It's a bit long winded so please bear with me.
Briefly I have a Zoom 24 as my main 24 track recorder, the output from which is fed into to very large studio monitors with 8" speakers. It's excellent for recording guitar but for microphone/vocals when using the R24's onboard effects, in my opinion it leaves a fair bit to be desired, at least it does in my view as I was a full time pro singer guitarist for 14 years many years ago so even though I'm out of touch with the latest technology, I still recognise when something isn't quite right.

I have an original TC Helicon Harmony Singer which I bought nearly six years ago and I decided to try that and an SM58 fed into a basic channel on the R24 without any onboard effects engaged for vocals to see if I could get rid of what is probably latency when the R24's effects were chosen and the results are pretty good in fact it's better than good though perhaps a little restricted with regard to reverb. I was always used to tape echos which are completely different to digital offerings which quite honestly are nothing near as good for live sound as the tape echos of the past in my opinion but again that's just personal.

Now, getting back to my request for information...
A few days ago I picked up a fully working Behringer FX2000 Vizualizer 3D multi FX processor unit in excellent condition for the princely sum of £30.00 which was a bargain. With no experience of modern equipment etc, I hadn't realised that it won't accept a microphone or guitar input therefore I'd effectively need a mixer to make use of it, which I don't have though I've tested the unit out on a guitar amplifier with an effects loop system and it works fine, so I've confirmed it's working well.

The R24 has in the onboard firmware, compressors which I prefer for my recordings but it's them that I am not happy with regarding the vocal quality so I intend to buy a DBX 286s pre-amp channel strip just for primary vocals. The DBX 286s is a pretty simple but very effective device for the job which presumably I should be able to link and insert directly into the R24 and use the 286s between the R24 and mike or instrument. On the rear of the 286s there is a TRS/XLR input for microphone/instrument. Also a TRS line out and a single TRS insert!

Now it's regarding this insert that is the question!
On the top of the Vizualizer there are diagrams of the unit's TRS wiring and it looks as though with the correct lead, I should be able to feed the output effects of the vizualizer into the channel strip so that I can add them while recording mic or guitar.
The Vizualizer's back panel ...2 channels of both TRS and XLR inputs and outputs.

The question is, can anyone confirm as to whether or not the effects of the Vizualizer can be added to to the output of the DBX 286s ( via the 'insert' and suitable lead) before it is recorded by the R24?
If it can, I will not need to buy a mixer but if I can't then I'll have to rethink about the DBX 286s and buy a small mixer with built in compressors. I only need maybe three compressors at most which is why if I bought the 286s, I would have bought either a 166xs or 266xs dual compressors/limiters etc which would cover my needs.
I have a Yamaha THR10 for recording my guitars which is fed directly into the R24 and it's a brilliant combination for recording which together with the microphone fed through the TC Helicon, it makes a formidable team but I'd just like to add both the outboard effects processor and outboard compressor for extra versatility.

Any help would be appreciated. Cheers.

Virtualizer can be used as an insert.

Get yourself a Y insert lead. Plug the TRS bit into the DBX, then one end into input 1 of the Virtualizer and the other into output 1. You'll have to figure out which end of the Y lead is in and which is out.

Thank you...that's just the information that I was looking for.
Question: Presumably the 'Y' lead linking the Vizualizer and the DBX will be stereo in order for it to work...is that correct?

Back