XLR out or mic or DI box

Cadmandu

Hi all
I have a Rumble 150 Bass Amp with a XLR line out. I also have a Focusrite 2i2 audio interface. I am using Reaper for a DAW. What would be the best method to record a passive bass fender guitar without clipping? Does an active DI box before the interface help with impeadance matching?
Thanks

I dont think the issue is impedance but probably does it clip or not. The 2i2 doesnt have a pad to knock it down.
The output of the Rumble would probably offer something better and it has a pad and a compressor and can get you clean or distortion.

Hi,
The 2i2 accepts microphone, line and instrument level, so you have options.

First, and loudest, you can pop a microphone in front of the cabinet.

If you want the control from your bass amp preamp but not the volume then take its XLR line output into the 2i2 line input, but be sure to use XLR at the amp and 1/4" at the 2i2, and set the input switch to line.
Alternatively you can just plug the bass straight into the 2i2 with a regular instrument cable and set the switch to inst.

I don't think there'd be much advantage to using a separate DI box unless you have a favourite or something like that.

Some like to record with a microphone and DI together. Since you have two channels, you have that option.

Hope that's helpful. :)

I believe the Rumble XLR output has speaker simulation, a tone circuit to make it sound something like using a mic. It's going to sound different from the bass through a DI. I don't recall if the XLR out is closer to pro line level or mic level, but it takes about a minute to try it and find out.

Don't need a DI box. XLR Out on the Rumble is Line Out, so an XLR to TRS will work. Then on the other channel, I would throw a mic on there and capture it both ways. Blend to taste.

I Have a rumble and the DI always sounds good live, I have a feeling that the input gain changes the level of the DI out, the master turns the amp up and down without changing the DI volume.

bouldersoundguy, The rumble does not have speaker simulation on the DI, or if it has I've never found it.

Alan.

Thanks sorry for not getting back I as not getting email notification on the thread. Great info here but have a few question. Some said to use the XLR line out but to use a cable that has a TSR male on the other end why not an XLR on both? What is the output voltage and impedance of the line out? Is the line out a built in DI box? Does the 2i2 have a built in DI box.

Thanks sorry for not getting back I as not getting email notification on the thread. Great info here but have a few question. Some said to use the XLR line out but to use a cable that has a TSR male on the other end why not an XLR on both? What is the output voltage and impedance of the line out? Is the line out a built in DI box? Does the 2i2 have a built in DI box.

Forget about "impedances" they hardly ever matter* and no audio equipment is impedance "matched" anymore no, not even speakers to valve amplifiers (only in the sense that you use a 16 Ohm tap for a 16 Ohm speaker, i.e. you are just matching "words"). I cannot find a voltage level for the Rumble's XLR line out. Manual does not give it neither does a block signal diagram (but there does seem to be some cab emulation?

So, we can only guess at +4dBu, about a volt rms? If so I will bet that will clip the line in of the 2i2 if you hit things even moderately hard. Could be -10dBV 0.316 V in which case the F'rite should be ok but then, the line out is balanced, why do that and then go for a non professional level? Still, no harm either way, try it.

I have to say I can see little sense in XLR outs on guitar and bass amps UNLESS they are at microphone level? That is what a "true" DI box gives you and what, I am told most sound techs expect as a feed? If the amp has a line out at a volt or so use a jack.

*Passive electric guitars "like" to be loaded with at least 1,000,000 Ohms. The Magic Meg but most passive DIs will only manage 200k tops and nobody seems to have noticed for 30+ years? Bass should be even less fussy? Not usually concerned with "tone suck"?

Dave.

The XLR output of the amp is line level. The XLR input of your interface is Mic level.

The reason to get an XLR to trs cable is to it the line output of the amp into the line inputs of the interface.

This is because the line output of the amp will probably clip the Mic input of the interface.

It is important to match the type of signal, not the type of connector.

The XLR output of the amp is line level. The XLR input of your interface is Mic level.

The reason to get an XLR to trs cable is to it the line output of the amp into the line inputs of the interface.

This is because the line output of the amp will probably clip the Mic input of the interface.

It is important to match the type of signal, not the type of connector.

Totally agree Jay but some AIs switch the XLR from mic to balanced line level, my old M-A Fast track pro was one such. Don't have a 2i2 so cannot say.

But, bottom line for the OP is, try the variants, you can do no harm, just creating probably nasty distortion.

Dave.

I was checking out my Rane and Art racks, the ART TPS has a high output and mentions might clip if going into a Mic Pre, "unless it has a Pad"...then no issues. It recommends the Line In if theres no Pad on the mic pre.

the 2i2 doesn't have a pad. So likely the Line In is the way to go.

My interface has a Line In of 10k and a Mic In 1.3k.
A mic output is ?..a rack line out is what? double that 1.4v? So a Speaker Emulator / Rumble output is the unknown per ecc83.

Just seems the Line In is the way to go, flip the switch to Line In or flip it to Mic In. Keep the volume down and test it out.
Try each type of cable if you have them, why not?

:eatpopcorn:

Last edited:
Totally agree Jay but some AIs switch the XLR from mic to balanced line level, my old M-A Fast track pro was one such. Don't have a 2i2 so cannot say.

Is that correct? I've never heard of it.
I've only ever seen combo jacks where XLR is into mic preamp, and TRS/TS is inst/line switchable.

Is that correct? I've never heard of it.
I've only ever seen combo jacks where XLR is into mic preamp, and TRS/TS is inst/line switchable.

Pretty sure but I no longer have the AI. No matter, I think they are all TRS these days (the Pro did have a 20dB pad, I DO know that!)

C.C chap...750mV ain't mic level, only just under 0dBu. The whole level situation is a bloody mess. +4dBu is pro op level but is just about the only fixture along with -10dBV which is quoted as "domestic" level but you will find cassette decks and amp AUX at closer to 100mV, -20dBV.

Then there is "instrument level" neg 40 something? Not really a problem so long as peeps check things out and watch for overs.

Dave.

Great info guys thanks alot for all the help. I read that you can blow your pre-amp in the 2i2 if you hit it with line level signal. So I will buy a converter cable on ebay today. Does the XLR out bypass the amp effects?
Thanks

Great info guys thanks alot for all the help. I read that you can blow your pre-amp in the 2i2 if you hit it with line level signal. So I will buy a converter cable on ebay today. Does the XLR out bypass the amp effects?
Thanks

Not so. The mic amp will clip and distort mightily but will not be damaged by a line level signal. Even the cheapest, poorest design of AIs can cope with a few volts and Focusrite ain't cheap or shoddy!

Dave.

I don't want to hijack my own thread but I have a fender deluxe 85 with a pre amp out is that the way to go or is headphone out better for my 2i2?20180927_160429.jpg

Back