Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Would you post a nice isolated guitar track and tell how you did it?

Thanks

Would you post a nice isolated guitar track and tell how you did it?

Sign in to disable this ad
    Some of the members have posted clips that are out of this world. Would you post a nice isolated guitar track and tell how you did it? If not why? Is it secret? Am I a spy? Are you a spy?

The members that have mastered impulse responses seem to have got it down real nice. That is what I am investigating currently.

Bone transducers and surface mount microphones looks like a bust. Arcane technology now forgotten cause you can buy a plate reverb or even better load its response.

Thanks
    So this is a Stratocaster. Neck pup. Dimed controls. Straight into a 6i6 then a 1/4" reel to reel 8 track. Targeting 0 db.

No vsts or effects. Wait, there is a Reverb plug in Focus red reverb 5-10%mix on the master.

Whats the difference? Digital to analog?
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks
    It almost sounds like you're either palm muting on the 6i6 track. I've got an old Saffire - not much different under the covers save the FW out - and it doesn't do that.

I'd like to see the raw track (WAV), i.e., what went in, and not the bounced out with FX. Should be in some media folder I'd guess.

I'm a little confused about the 8 track. You mean you are plugging the guitar directly into the tape deck??
    "... I know in the mornin' that it's gonna be good
    when I stick out my elbows and they don't bump wood." - Bill Kirchen

Thanks
    This is from a live recording last August. 8 channels into an Zoom R24. The guitar was a mic'ed Quilter amp with an OD pedal. It was one of 3 guitar amps, bass, drums and vocals in the mix. A bit of EQ and that's it.

Thanks
    Holy shit Rich, thats f'ing awesome!

Kieth , the 8 track goes into a mixer Mackie 16ch, the bus makes it a stereo image. No FX. no compression. Nothing from my rack. Unfortuneatley it goes into the 6i6 anyways input3/4 to become a mp3. 3/4 should bypass the preamps. Sos it wont be preamped.

The 6i6 is set direct 1/4" cable off the mixer then USB to DAW no FX. Yes, I used more palm muting . Still the difference is insane.

The master had a reverb pluggin , so there is a little reverb. Nothing that would cause that much difference.

Edit- I Did not like the palm mute. So i did it open chord. Also taken off the mixing board. This one is mono. So there still is a difference. still a big difference.

You know, i dont think either of the 2 top ones were preamped. I think the Mackie shuts off the preamp with an insert plugged. I pulled out the bypassed insert chain. Check me on that. I might have found my problem.
    Last edited by LazerBeakShiek; 11-20-2019 at 15:58.

Thanks
    @LazerBeakShiek , I'm going to just add that, based on the reading of your posts, your approach is too chaotic. You have a lot of vocabulary of the practice, but the implementation is unparseable, and it seems you discover what you've done after it's done and you go back. This is not a productive way to get to a process that you can refine and improve.

Get a notebook and draw a picture if necessary, but really get clear about how you are connecting things, and WHY you are doing it, i.e., what the expected result is going to be. Keep it as simple as possible and don't add anything, I mean anything, until you can get good tracks recorded at good levels with proper gain staging simply going to a mix with no FX/plugins/channel-strips, whatever. Keep your faders on zero until you have exhausted the capability of gain staging.
    "... I know in the mornin' that it's gonna be good
    when I stick out my elbows and they don't bump wood." - Bill Kirchen

Thanks
    The mixer needed to be reconfigured for the 8 track. It was chaos, its been a while.

I have no idea what a baseline guitar is supposed to sound like in a DAW. I figured that those that had a severe low cut was the normal 6i6 sound. Is it an ASIO problem? A driver problem.

All I could claim is that the live sound out the speakers was much different.

Thanks
    These are L/R separated guitars in a tune I recently tracked where I played all the instruments. They're a Telecaster into a Pro Jr amp but I unplugged the cabinet and am running a 12" Eminence (that is in an old Line 6 AxSys 212, ha!) with a slight bit of Boss RV-5 reverb. I don't think the amp is past 3, it's running pretty clean:Telecasters.mp3

And this is a Jazzmaster through the same Pro Jr in another tune I did myself. I turned the amp up to probably 4-5 (out of 12) and with the Tumnus pushing it a little extra, and this time through a 10" Celestion from a busted 1984 Marshall practice amp that I now use as a cabinet. It fits in the mix! Jazzmaster.mp3

They're recorded with a MD 421 and a SM57 on the cabinet and a Michael Joly-modified MXL2003 a few feet away in my MiniTrap-laden walk-in closet, and preamps are a UA Solo 110 (the 421) and a RNP (57 and LDC)

Edited to add: I just normalized the tracks in Logic to make them a little louder. I try to keep it so I have the very few harshest peaks around I don't know, usually -6 to -9 db.
    Last edited by GoodTimesRec; 11-20-2019 at 20:51.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GoodTimesRec For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I'm not sure I understand the idea behind this, but isolated guitar tracks aren't necessarily supposed to sound "good". Not sure if that's what you're expecting to hear... but it's all about the mix. Does the guitar work with the drums and the bass and the vocals? It doesn't matter what it sounds like solo'd and you shouldn't "edit" or "mix" it solo'd. Each guitar track will take a different approach depending on the song and what's around it and how you want it to come across in a full mix.

Thanks
    If you are looking for a starting point it helps. If it is isolated you can pick out gate compressor filter and eq basic settings. Heck I even put the isolated track under an O scope and check the range and movement.

Goodtimes, that jazzmaster track sounds sweet very beatlesque, no clatter. You nailed the Pro JR.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to LazerBeakShiek For This Useful Post:

Thread Information