Would outboard compression be better on kick?

Freudian Slip

Am I really missing the boat? I am always looking to the future making my list on next purchases. I'm sure many here can relate:D And just as a info gathering excursion I would like to know if a decent outboard pre amp/compressor would help my kick sound much? I have access to some really nice plug in compressors (I also have a 266 compressor that I do not like). I actually like the cakewalk FX pack dynamic processor. Anyway I know I need one for vocals and if it would help my kick sonnd too then I just don't see where I have any choice but to get one;) But don't worry about me tell me what you really think....

I need one right?

F.S.

Compression on drums is largely a taste issue. I've read some folks here who claim to never use compression on their drum tracks, and I have no reason to doubt them.

Personally, I love compressing drums, given the right context. Since you asked about the kick, I'll say that i usually run it through light compression while tracking (an Aphex Expressor) and then use the Waves Renaissance Compressor to sculpt the sound during mixdown.

It's probably also safe to say that a bad drummer with a bad kit will require more compression at mixdown than a good one.

Littledog: You are supposed to say... Yes it will improve your sound greatly as compared to software compression. That way I would know my mission in life:)

I would assume it would have to have at least a slight edge do to the fact that you are recording more of what you are going to use, thus giving you a finiished product with less digital processing??

The other question would be, how critical is the preamp to the kick? Considering I am using all mackie vlz (not vlz pro) pre's.
I do not believe that my mixer has the xdr pre's, in fact I'm pretty certain (damn it).

F.S.

Freudian Slip said:
The other question would be, how critical is the preamp to the kick?

It's hard to say what is "critical", since there are so many factors that influence the sound:

drummer's technique
sound of the kick
room acoustics
close mic choice
close mic placement
overheads and room mic (choices and placement)
mic preamps
compressors
recording media

I'm probably leaving out something.

In theory they're all critical, but if you had to nail EVERY single one of those factors in order to get a good drum sound, there would only be about 3 good sounding recordings of drums each year.

So yeah, all those things help. In answer to your question, having a Neve or API for your kick sure might be an improvement over your Mackie, but so would having a forty foot long room with 25 foot ceilings, or using a pair of Coles ribbons as overheads. The trick is not use lack of any of the above listed factors as an excuse for getting a crappy drum sound. It's our challenge as engineers to get decent sounds in less than optimal situations. In some ways, that challenge forces us to become better engineers, and is part of the fun of being in the business. Overcoming of obstacles can be its own reward!

Remember that Greek philosopher (I forget who...) who said give me a long enough lever and a place to set a fulcrum and i can move the earth... Well, give us an SM-57 and a minidisk and we should be able to figure out a way to make a great recording...

littledog said:

having a Neve or API for your kick sure might be an improvement over your Mackie, but so would having a forty foot long room with 25 foot ceilings

oh shit, that means all my kick recordings should sound good??:( :cool: :D

All the advise above is right, the only thing I would say is, the more limited your gear and environment, the more important to get that kick to sound right AT THE SOURCE, which is always 99% of the battle anyway (and if it isn't, it should be).

Thanks littledog. I know what you mean I am dealing with a ton of problems, not the least of them is the set I am recording. I am able to get a descent drum sound after tons of experementing with compression, tuning, mic placement, and on and on. I guess I was just wondering if it would be a noticable improvement for the sake of setting prioity on what my next purchases will be. I never expected it to move my kick sound into another deminsion.
I bet I could get a better product just by being able to mix it and set compression some before I record. Right now I am only running through the pre's on my board with no eq. I do that for everything else and I am able to get a good sound no problem. I am wondering if I should be running the kick through a channel strip though now? I will have to mess with that until I get me a outboard pre. It sure is easier to EQ with knobs than software to me. Minor adjustments are no big deal in software but on the kick it gets a little tiring since I have a bit of lag before the adjustment takes effect.

Well Thanks all.

Later

F.S.

Thanks littledog. I know what you mean I am dealing with a ton of problems, not the least of them is the set I am recording. I am able to get a descent drum sound after tons of experementing with compression, tuning, mic placement, and on and on. I guess I was just wondering if it would be a noticable improvement for the sake of setting prioity on what my next purchases will be. I never expected it to move my kick sound into another deminsion.
I bet I could get a better product just by being able to mix it and set compression some before I record. Right now I am only running through the pre's on my board with no eq. I do that for everything else and I am able to get a good sound no problem. I am wondering if I should be running the kick through a channel strip though now? I will have to mess with that until I get me a outboard pre. It sure is easier to EQ with knobs than software to me. Minor adjustments are no big deal in software but on the kick it gets a little tiring since I have a bit of lag before the adjustment takes effect.

Well Thanks all.

Later

F.S.

I likes me some compression on the kick drum! I've been able to make due with software compressors, so you might want to fiddle some more with what you've got first before running out and spending money. Most of the time if my drums aren't kicking ass it's a mic placement issue or a phase flipping issue anyway, so also make sure you explore that route.

Back