Would like to record my own music by creating my own backtracks

Tinsel

At the moment I have a few iPhones with a adventurera monster blue tooth speaker and an iPad Pro 4th gen. I’ve hooked up some some good microphone software and have Garage Band.

Apparently if I use GarageBand the SoundCloud becomes free to upload. Can I safely share my music with others without revealing my personal identification? I’d rather share anonymously.

Are there easier ways to do this that anyone knows of.
I’m looking to create basic backtracks with as minimum instruments as possible to keep it simple.

You can create a fictitious identity quite simply if you understand how it works. You could create a gmail account to sort an email. The only tricky bit is if a service needs a credit card. What I don’t quite get though is the point? I’d you want people to listen to it why do you want to stay anonymous?

I’m more concerned by the low quality you’ll be working at. Simple production cation means wide open spaces and quality cannot be hidden. A simple backing track with maybe one or two instruments will be very revealing of the phone audio quality and I’ve no idea what microphone software means? Quality microphones, quality sound sources and quality monitoring is a 100% requirement for quality. You can record some things fine with a phone and GarageBand. Other things might be beyond your phone to do well. Best analogy would be finding a old 27 colour oil painting set with only seven tubes not Gone hard and only two paint brushes with some a4 printer paper to paint on.

I am with Rob on both counts, if someone really want to find out who and where you are it can be done* as far as this PC numpty knows? If you are concerned someone will say "What a dick, what a load of shit music..." EFF 'em! Everyone has a valid voice.

Same goes for Rob's concern over quality. A very good interface can be had for around $100 US and a bit more buys you more facilities. Similarly there are some very good cheap microphones around now. The biggest problem is monitoring. Even bottom end acceptable speakers will set you back $300ish but there is no reason you cannot use good quality headphones.

*Not the "ex" after money is it?

Dave.

Thanks guys. The main reason I want simple instrumentation is just a person preference but that could all change once I start . I’ve recorded just me playing saxophone with no backtracks at all and it’s sounded good.

I’m not wishing to sell my music or become popular and don’t personally care if some listeners don’t like my music. I’ve got no ex’s cause I’ve never been married. Lol ( that was funny ) I just prefer staying anonymous online cause I believe it’s safer.

I was told I don’t need interface because the iPad Pro has all that. I downloaded a microphone app that seems to work good and allowed me to hook up to Dropbox automatically. Maybe they all do that. I’m not sure.

The speaker I have is awesome and I have a Bose headset with Bluetooth capability. I just haven’t figured out how to use it while recording. Clearly I have a lot of reading to do.

Thanks again :D

Last edited:
Thanks guys. The main reason I want simple instrumentation is just a person preference but that could all change once I start . I’ve recorded just me playing saxophone with no backtracks at all and it’s sounded good.

I’m not wishing to sell my music or become popular and don’t personally care if some listeners don’t like my music. I’ve got no ex’s cause I’ve never been married. Lol ( that was funny ) I just prefer staying anonymous online cause I believe it’s safer.

I was told I don’t need interface because the iPad Pro has all that. I downloaded a microphone app that seems to work good and allowed me to hook up to Dropbox automatically. Maybe they all do that. I’m not sure.

The speaker I have is awesome and I have a Bose headset with Bluetooth capability. I just haven’t figured out how to use it while recording. Clearly I have a lot of reading to do.

Thanks again :D

Ok, all cool Tinsel. Sax eh? Not an easy instrument to record well I have been told?

I have a smartphone and the idea of trying to run a DAW on that dinky screen is murder! I have enough trouble just using it as a phone! But then I am challenged, both optically and by overstaying my 3 score and 10 welcome!

But AIs have nice robust XLR and jack connectors and can handle 'proper' mics and things like electric guitars. They can record at 24 bits and 44.1kHz which is better than the best CD quality (they can record at much higher sample rates as well but don't bother unless you are into bats and buying hard drives)

The final result can easily be bounced back to the phone and uploaded at any quality level the system allows.

Dave.

Back