What's limiting YOUR recordings??

What's the weakest link in your recordings?

• My recording chain (mics, pres, etc)

Votes: 156 18.4%
  • My monitoring chain (monitors, phones)

Votes: 66 7.8%
  • My room(s)

Votes: 258 30.4%
  • My own ability

Votes: 368 43.4%

• Total voters

noisedude

So tell me - in all honesty - where is the bottleneck in the quality chain of your recordings? What needs to be upgraded or replaced FAST?

I voted for myself :eek: :eek: :cool:

My room is seriously keeping me from recording. Too small, too crowded and too noisy and no ways to improve it unless I find a bigger house/apartment (which I hope to do next year).
I'll never learn the art of recording properly in this dump. :(

For me, I have been making great improvements to my gear and now realize how bad my room is killing me.

I have plans to build a studio room and am saving the cash to make it happen. Hope to get started come next spring/summer.

~R

My biggest thorn working on a 12 song CD has been poor quality monitors... Too much time spent tweaking on a song to sound great in the control room only to find it was grossly represented when ported to the 'test systems' (car, boom box, living room stereo, etc.)

Saving my paper route money to make sure this doesn't happen next time... :(

My ears.

An engineer can tell in a heartbeat that I use fake drums even though they sound real to me. And I'm sure any engineer can point to all sorts of crap popping out of my recordings and mixes, but I don't hear it. And I plan to keep it that way for my humble ego, sanity, and pocketbook.

I prefer to be blissfully ignorant.

Not having a clone. :mad:
So that they can keep an eye on all the levels while i'm playing/recording. This is especially difficult when you are a drummer.

Dave

Of course, if you're entirely recording alone that can be pretty tough too. I'd rather not have a clone, but maybe a friend who's actually good at this stuff ;)

I clicked gear. i'm pretty (very) happy with the way my recordings are going. Converters and mics are my only issue, but they aren't that huge. My converters are usable, and I'd just like a few more mics so i had freedom to pick and choose.

Environment.

I mean, I just got my own very nice home studio with fancy fancy acoustic design, but living in urban town and having unstable electric line... Sometime it kills me to wait hours until the noises got rid! Even the most expensive AV regulator won't help that much when it drops down...

;)
Jaymz

The studio I work at lacks any preamps that are good. We had a D8B and are getting a DXB but I can't talk the owner into investing into good preamps. Instead he spent 6k on microphones!

*sigh*

I voted for gear too. I have next to nothing. I am planning on building a studio and outfitting it properly, but for now, I deal with it...

The musical education of the bands coming into my studio. It is hard to make anything better when the musicians don't have a musical vocabulary so you can explain something to them.

noisedude said:
That's true ... so which one is impingeing on you the most?
Are you asking me? It's the recording chain. All I have is one half decent dynamic mic, an MR-8, some cheap guitars, decent amps, and a drum machine. So it's the gear.... sigh.... some day can't come fast enough.... :(

Rokket said:
Are you asking me? It's the recording chain. All I have is one half decent dynamic mic, an MR-8, some cheap guitars, decent amps, and a drum machine. So it's the gear.... sigh.... some day can't come fast enough.... :(
Yeah sorry - it took me ten minutes to remember to click 'reply' and by then someone had posted inbetween!! Someday .... lol!

Mark - that's not an option. Have you got a damn job yet??

"All of the above" would have been applicable to me.

I'd have to go with "my own ability", due to my ratios of (successful)trial to error, this seems to be impinging on me the most.

Back