What's limiting YOUR recordings??

What's the weakest link in your recordings?

• My recording chain (mics, pres, etc)

Votes: 156 18.4%
  • My monitoring chain (monitors, phones)

Votes: 66 7.8%
  • My room(s)

Votes: 258 30.4%
  • My own ability

Votes: 368 43.4%

• Total voters
Hello, I had a marked jump in recording quality when I switched to an RME UFX USB interface. It does cost $2,300, but in the long run will pay for itself. Also to state the obvious great talent helps so much. I have heard great guitarists pull fantastic sounds from cheap guitars. Same for recording, if you have reasonable quality gear great musicians usually sound great.

Everything.

I don't have mics, I don't have monitors, I have no room treatment, I don't have stands, I don't have even decent quality cables...

Yet.

Being honest, it would be "My own ability" too, but that's something "easy" to solve. My biggest problem is the size of my room. Almost doesn't have space to all my instruments.

In my term it's my own skills:

I am using FL studio as a DAW by the way.

I just saw some mixing threads here and downloaded some files. Then I saw that they're from 2014. Didn't watch out about the date of the track before.
Then I mixed it and wanted to post it.

Seems like I've registered here 3 years ago. But now I am doing the first posts.

So I am not allowed to post links, yet. Thus I cannot show the mix I've done yet.

But you know what's the good thing about that?

With only one project like this I've learned:

- How to reorder the tracks (without copy and pasting)
- How to better use compressors (as a tool to cut off debleeding)
- How to use Izotope RX 7 Advanced better
- How to use Fabfilter better

AND how to to use my Korg Kronos as an Audio Device as well instead of my Focusrite Scarlett 18i20.
Lol what a coincidence. Didn't even intend to.

I won't struggle at doing melodies. But still often using FL Studio.

Before I used Samplitude (Since Amiga Times), I've only changed when Magix seemed to have made it very unstable.
But nevertheless recently I've thought to give it one last try: Using Samplitude Pro X5.
That Software is really not bad in general. And a lot about the workflow I love even more than in FL Studio.
But it seems like it's forced on Drive C. every time. No matter what.
It also crashes a lot. FL Studio doesn't.

But in FL Studio I am still new to all the tips and tricks that are available there.
Though I am watching a lot of videos of Jonas Aden, which helps.

Have Fun Guys. :-)

P.S.: The biggest one was when using Kontakt in FL Studio to compose orchestal tracks.
Until today I had no idea how to optimize 1.) RAM 2.) CPU and how to be able to use more instances effectly.
Thanks to Alex Moukala I do know now. :-)

Back