What's limiting YOUR recordings??

What's the weakest link in your recordings?

• My recording chain (mics, pres, etc)

Votes: 156 18.4%
  • My monitoring chain (monitors, phones)

Votes: 66 7.8%
  • My room(s)

Votes: 258 30.4%
  • My own ability

Votes: 368 43.4%

• Total voters
A Reel Person said:
I may also be a hopelessly compulsive pack rat.

Anyway, I should add, that anything that's on the top tier of junk is more or less accessible. That includes an FD-8, 564, FD-4, 424mkII, 488mkII & a second 388 rig.

I used to be a packrat, but I found help.

Now I am prepared to pass that mercy on to you.
We can start by you sending me that FD-8. It is an evil machine that has corrupted your mind, and you'd be better off without its vile presence tainting your soul.

Please... let me help, don't turn away my outstretched hands, take the relief that I offer, that we may together slay this demon.

Once again, the evidence of the FD8's presence rears its head. Such cold sarcasm. An offer of generosity given in jest, only to set up a punchline...

Man, I'm only tryin' to help you, why won't you let me help you?

I voted for ability. Since I'm still learning this is the biggest limitation. EQing is the biggest problem. SO, I EQ then have my "mentor" check it out. My house is pretty quiet during the day, so I can work then, but get my best insporations around 8pm. Have to haggle with the DH & DS to leave me alone.

I can only go by the description you have given, but I'd have to say...
Any purchase of musical equipment at this point would go a loooong way towards furthering the documentation necessary for your institutionalization.

I thought you liked your FD8? Liked being past tense, nevertheless...

thewifey said:
I voted for ability. Since I'm still learning this is the biggest limitation. EQing is the biggest problem. SO, I EQ then have my "mentor" check it out. My house is pretty quiet during the day, so I can work then, but get my best insporations around 8pm. Have to haggle with the DH & DS to leave me alone.
What is a "DH & DS"?

Yeah, I like the FD8, but to buy one was a sign of mental illness. I'm not saying it's not a good unit. It's a great unit.;) :eek:

Sorry - DH "Darling Husband, DS "Darling Son" unless of course they are being jerks at the time then it's "Dumb Husband" and "Dumb Son". Substitue ANY word that begins with a "D".

I would LOVE to have a Behringer T1953 Tube Mic Preamp....it's on my wisjh list.

well,,,,

all i have is my wee MR8,,my POD2 ,Alesis SR16 drum machine
and an SM57,,,
so im doing my best,,,but im just so utterly shite at doing the recording

I had seen that thread before, yet it doesn't fail to astound me all over again, the amount of gear you own!!! :eek:

after viewing your 'madness' again, and looking again at the photo (?you?) standing in front of the beatles poster... I hope I didn't say anything to offend, ...did I?

I'm kinda glad I didn't give you my address for shipment of the FD8 after all now. :D

BTW, did I mention that I live in Alaska?

I have to vote for me, as I have not had a chance to improve my skills of late. I will be definitely working at that aspect. My gear is also kinda crappy, but I will live with it until I get better.

D

The Beatles pix behind me are all non-smiling mugs,...

so I was just trying to stay in context. I dunno why e'one thinks I'm pissed or mean lookin', but it was just a regular/serious look. I think if I was smilin' my ass off, it would have looked out of context. Hint: I was trying to position myself as the 5th Beatle. ;) :eek:

Last edited:
time

With finals coming up, and a reent death on my mind, ive left about three projects unfinished with artists hungry to lay down more...

Initially, the drive to become an "artist" by using recording techniques and soft ware was exponential...each project taught me some thing more, and the motivation to be better at this amazing art was relentless....

now I just dont have the drive or time to put the neccessary energy into my projects...

I should go back to writing for awhile....

Mate, I know where you're at. Just get through your work and come back to music soon. Seriously - I'm in a bad place with uni work right now, and have a dozen songs that need to be written about it, but it's more important to get the essays down than the rants about them!

I am happy with my gear but my little square bedroom makes it really hard to mix well. I am seriously considering Real Traps as my next purchase seeing as I am lazy as hell and don't feel like going the DIY route as of yet.

Well, my room is small, but sounds very good. My signal chain, after shelling out some fairly serious bucks, is top of the line for 2 channels, very good for 2 more, and "useable" for 4 more. My monitor chain is weak, cheap gear all the way around, but I've learned to mix with it. It's "adequate". Me? My ears suck, and my technical skills suck. I am learning, and I know I'm 100% betrter than I was a year ago, but.... I know Al Schmitt or George Martin could walk in here and record Grammy award winning stuff with my gear. Every day I learn something new, and find at least two more things that I don't know.-Richie

Back