What sorcery/plugin is this streamer using to get an "echo" effect?

Could be any kind of FX in a mixer that is feeding the streaming app. Some folks use OBS which takes audio and video inputs and presents itself as a webcam/mic, to other apps.

That's just a churchy reverb - As she has a decent mic from the sound, if we assume simple, she has the mic plugged into a small mixer with built in effects, then USB to the stream - or of course she could have the mic into an interface, into a DAW, loads of effects and processing, then out to the streamer system. Sounds fine to me and not really a technical challenge.

OBS allows for VST's to be used. Could simply be, Mic, interface, VST reverb. That simple really.

OBS allows for VST's to be used. Could simply be, Mic, interface, VST reverb. That simple really.
If you start using VSTs, you'll probably want to include send your video into OBS as well so you can account for latency. What the streamees (?) see is delayed by whatever ms you set to sync things, but they don't realize that... (That video actually did look a bit out of sync in my one glance.)

P.S. I *am* going to experiment with this stuff when I get another "capture card" because the $20 version I tried did not really live up to the reviews... Spending a little more, but boy can you spend a lot on those things!

If you start using VSTs, you'll probably want to include send your video into OBS as well so you can account for latency. What the streamees (?) see is delayed by whatever ms you set to sync things, but they don't realize that... (That video actually did look a bit out of sync in my one glance.)

P.S. I *am* going to experiment with this stuff when I get another "capture card" because the $20 version I tried did not really live up to the reviews... Spending a little more, but boy can you spend a lot on those things!

I was checking for that too. She looked very close to in sync to my eye

That OBS is really damn good software. You can record in it, export it, then line up the audio to the video in an editor then stream it back out (or just post the recording). I do think the live streaming is a bit different, but it is easy to turn an audio FX off/on while streaming, if you are not monitoring, it will have no lag as it all goes out at once.

I think you guys know what I mean, if you are recording a live band or just yourself and you don't monitor your effect, then there is no lag. When you add in the next track after recording, there is some lag, but then if you calibrate your DAW, then the software will make up for the delay with compensation. I did this with my DAW, recorded a sharp snap, then did a loop back and recorded the slap that was recorded to a new track and then measured the delta of the two. That was the value I put in for my delay compensation value. While not perfect, close to my ears.

Back