What’s the most Lo-Fi recording you put on vinyl?

Underdog Diva

I’m trying to find excuses to put my Lo-Fi recordings on vinyl because I don’t have the patience/will power/money/skills to go the proper route.
So tell me: what’s the most Lo-Fi recordings you ever dared to put out on a vinyl product? Let’s talk equipment and motivation. Of course I want to hear the results!

What a minute, what? Before the interface before..I had ADAT's .Before that a Tascam porta studio casstte. Before that reel to reel 1/4" 8 trk.

So there is a LP record making machine? I can cut or press my own records. Not sure they made that. Will it do 33/45's ? 78's?

I did a recording about 35 years back of the Presentation High School choir that was pressed to vinyl so that the parents could buy it. Unfortunately, I don't have a copy anymore. I do have the master reel for one side, but no way to play it. Its a 10" reel, I THINK at 15ips. The original 7" reels were ruined in a basement flood about 12 years or so ago.

It wasn't lo-fi by choice, I used my Dokorder 8140, a pair of AKG D160s and a couple of other mics that I had (can't remember but it might have been an ElectroVoice and a Shure). It was mixed down with a AX20 onto a Teac 3340. Any lo-fi was strictly due to my own incompetence.

How do you figure putting recordings on vinyl is cheap, or less trouble than burning CDRs or Cassettes.

What a minute, what? Before the interface before..I had ADAT's .Before that a Tascam porta studio casstte. Before that reel to reel 1/4" 8 trk.

So there is a LP record making machine? I can cut or press my own records. Not sure they made that. Will it do 33/45's ? 78's?

Yes Shiek, there is (or rather WAS) a record making machine. I've inherited these. They must be at least 70 years old, since the "Ozzie" referenced on the label was a kid at the time, and he's about 80 now. They are 2 sided plastic coating on a cardboard type base. I've never tried to play them.

Attachments

• Homemade Records.jpg
    Homemade Records.jpg
    219.7 KB · Views: 13
How do you figure putting recordings on vinyl is cheap, or less trouble than burning CDRs or Cassettes.

I want to record a 7“ because
A) I have a garage punk band
B) 7“ are cool and never get played ?
C) no one wants CDs these days
D) cassettes would be an alternative

There are a number of services offering small run record and cassette printing nowadays.

Record manufacturing capacities have actually increased over the last few years. (Mostly 'cause Jack White got tired of the delays he himself was inducing in the whole system and built his own plant)

The numbers I've seen are starting at about $4k (US) to do a run of records including mastering, casting plates, etc. and $100 for tapes.

I'm still confused. You say you don't have the "patience/will power/money/skills" to go the proper route (whatever that means). Making vinyl records isn't cheap to start. You can have individual lathe cut records done for about $25 a pop for a 7" single. Certainly not cheap! You can have a normal pressing done with about 200 singles for a couple of thousand. Its also going to take 4-6 weeks to make them.

It seems an expensive proposition for not having much money.

If you're looking for something unique, you could do mini CDRs for cheap. You can buy a hundred for under $50, with a printable surface. they're small enough to give out and toss in a shirt pocket.

Other than that, a low run cassette duplication would be the cheapest "old school" option. My question would be how many people actually have a cassette player these days? I know a few but they are all over 50, and have had them for many years.

Well, vinyl and cassettes are certain making a comeback here in the UK, but the costs are way, way out of the pocket of anyone bar enthusiasts. Also - the reason vinyl is making a comeback is because old'uns like me are re-buying their old libraries, and the club goers are into the vinyl vibe, which is ANYTHING other than lo-fi. I don't see why you'd want lo-fi from an expensive capable medium - what's the benefit?

I guess I need to clarify.
I do not want to actually MAKE a record. I want to record something that I find worth getting put on a record.
I don’t necessarily want to sound Lo-Fi. I want a recording that sounds good (easy and amenable to listen to without getting a headache) but doesn’t require much gear or skill and doesn’t consume a lot of time.
Maybe I should note that we are a two-piece a la white stripes with more punk mixed in.
I’m a guitarist first and I don’t want to dive head first into the depths of recording.
Sorry for the misunderstanding. I guess it’s not too easy to explain my way of thought

I want a recording that sounds good... but doesn’t require much gear or skill and doesn’t consume a lot of time.

Really great songs and performances let you get away with less than perfect and more involved recording techniques...but even if you did it real basic, with a couple of mics going direct to a recording device/interface...you still need to know where to put the mics and the basic functions of the gear.

If your have really great songs and you are able to deliver great performances...but don't want to dive too deep into recording...then you might be better off just finding a reasonably priced studio, and let them worry about the recording process, and you can focus on your guitar playing.

I'm lost now. Why would anybody expect a higher fidelity from a deliberately low fidelity mix? If you want better quality then you shouldn't reduce it so much, surely?

mp3, vinyl, CD, DVD, or even cassette - low fidelity music doesn't actually have what you'd be listening for in the differences between media? Sticking simulated vinyl surface noise on a real vinyl release is kind of pointless, isn't it?

Back