weird problem: wav files getting mixed up

campersand

This happened to me first in Sound Forge, now in Vegas. I'll record or mix a track one day, open it up again a couple weeks later and it'll have little bits of other wav files that I've recorded or edited interspersed throughout it.

So for example, let's say I'm listening back to a song I recorded last week. A minute or so into it, I hear a little snippet of a vocal part from a different song that I recorded yesterday. So I solo the guitar track and find that in the middle of that track, somehow this snippet has inserted itself. And it's in the actual wav file, I've tried opening it with different programs, closing it and opening it again, refreshing it, everything.

Anybody ever have this happen to them?

Just a thought, but how are you organizing your files? If you're saving everything in the same folder, the program may name something "Vocal_1" for a song, and have the same name for another part in another song, leading to this mixup. Create a separate file for each song in your project.

You mean create seperate folders for each song? I'm pretty obsessively organized about my files, they're all in their own song folders that are in their own project folders. And the files that are getting mixed up are named completely different things, e.g. "guit1" gets mixed up with "vox2-2".

I'd run a scandisk or some similar diagnostic on your hard drive; you may be getting cross-linked files, which is not a good thing.

G.

That sounds odd, have you tried any other recording software just to see if this happens?

I'd do as Glen said and do a chkdsk, or maybe even defrag just to see what happens. How old is your hard drive?

If the file table on the hard drive is actually pointing files to incorrect sectors of the hard disk, you'd better back up pretty damn fast, before your files get completely hosed.

In all my years of using and fixing computers, I have never heard of a computer still running once the hard disk "forgot" where files were in relation to the file data stored in the table at the beginning of the disk. However, new problems invent themselves with computer technology everyday :)

I can't think of another reason why you would be getting randomly mixed in chunks of other wav files, so I can't be of much more help, unfortunately... but yeah, backup ASAP.

this is a known problem

i had this type of problem in the past

it has got to do with the procedure of SAVING files.when you are done recording, make sure you save all the tracks properly,and not giving the same name to several different files.

there is nothing wrong with your software----it is a matter of paying attention to what you do

Back