weak vocals

HabitualG

i am not really a singer, but i am trying to lay down some stuff for a band i may be joining. i have excellent intonation but my voice is really weak and thin and i'm having trouble not sounding like i'm joking. i am seriously trying to do vocals but i sound like i am making fun of singing, it is that bad. what do you guys reccomend to sound more like a halfway decent vocalist?

Use your diaphragm for more support. When you breathe in relax your stomach muscles out and when you sing a note suppot by slowly tightning these muscles and bringing them in.

To get more resonance say the word "Hi" and support it with your diaphragm, when you say the word start up high in your range and descend as you finish (so its more like Hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii). When you are doing this think of your head as a big resonator and that the air is really resonating in your skull.

Practice your vowels and consonants. Vowels are where you get your vocal sound and consonants are where you get "attack".

These are all exercises I did when I studied voice in college and it sure helps.

Most of all don't sweat it... many good singers think their voices sound bad especially when recorded.
It sounds like some voice lessons would help you support your notes. Don't be afraid to put your whole body and emotions into your singing when singing for your band.

You can supplement the coaching suggestion with a good vocal "method" book/CD, like Roger Love's "Set Your Voice Free".

A sensible approach is to bring the material you're working on to your lessons BTW.

Best of luck,
Chris

Two things:

After you record your voice, copy the track and run the 2nd copy through a distortion pedal, slight distortion setting. This will fatten it up.

Or, walk or run around the block before you sing. This will build up your lungs and you can push more air.

Might it be a matter of your brain -- i.e. you don't really dare to sing, you don't feel like a singer...

Do you sing out loud when you go shopping? Or don't you dare to ?

Do you mind singing before an audience?

If this is the case, you might beef up your tracks with compression or distortion, and you might even get some interesting results, but you'll definitely be very restricted with your vocal qualities...

aXel

HabitualG said:
i have excellent intonation but my voice is really weak and thin and i'm having trouble not sounding like i'm joking. i am seriously trying to do vocals but i sound like i am making fun of singing, it is that bad.

ROFL. Are you sure your meant to be a singer? Maybe the bass would be more your style ;)

Joining a local singing chapter will also help you gain more confidence in your singing, and gives you can opportunity to hear more advanced singers in person.

Just curious....
Do you REALLY enjoy singing?
(even when your all alone)
If the answer is yes-keep singing!

Chris

Back