voice + music recording

marco75sa

Hi all,
i'm new on this forum. I would like to have your support to better know some aspects about recording voice and music.
I have mixer yamaha m52 and mic shure sm58.
To have a professional recording, when i sing on my mic, should i ear my voice or only the music track?
Who sells me audio card device for my pc told me that the professional way is only to ear the music track on earphone and not my voice when i sing...
true/false?
Comments, suggestions?

thanks in advance

You should be able to hear yourself and the track you're singing to. You will want to find a way to get the right balance between the two so you can sing your best.

Welcome to the site.

I'm part of a live tribute band, here in the UK - Excellent kit, big venues. We all use in-ear monitors. We each have a personal mixer for our ear feeds. ALL of us have different mixes - drastically different mixes. I actually have my bass and my voice prominent in the mix, pushed a little right, my contribution is lower in level in the left side. As we sing pretty well non-stop - all of us (we're a Beach Boy band) it means that I don't want ANY guitar, but I do need lots of the keys player Vox and the keys, but the drummer sings the high lines which really puts me off.

In the studio, you will find that giving each participant a mix they can really work to is vital, or they simply make more mistakes. Some people cannot sing in tune with both ears covered. Others can. I find now the band monitoring is second nature, that I am more aware of how good it can be. The opposite also happens. Sometimes we have issues with the wrong stuff in our IEMs, and when this happens, I'll pull them both out, and make do with the mess on stage. A bad headphone mix is worse than no mix!

Back