Vocals in a Bathroom

Seafroggys

So I've done a decent job in my garage (my "studio") where everything is fairly dry. However, I was taking a shower, started singing (luckily I was home alone) and then I really enjoyed the reverberation. Then I wondered how it would work in a recording enviornment.

Has anybody actually done serious vocal recordings in a bathroom?

Give it a try. I've never done it. I'm too lazy.:cool: Perhaps try two mics. One up close; one farther away to capture the natural reverb.

...If you want the 'Sun sound' with just that kind of boomy reverb, it certainly sounds viable; I was thinking about it myself. Hey, unlike a dedicated echo room, everyone's got a loo.:p

How 'bout 3 mics? One vox, and a stereo pair (choose your locations) to gather all the goodness, to be mixed to taste afterwards.:eek::D

Personally, I love imperfect raw sounds over created imitations, but that's just me. Hit the shower and let us know :)

Best,
C.

So I've done a decent job in my garage (my "studio") where everything is fairly dry. However, I was taking a shower, started singing (luckily I was home alone) and then I really enjoyed the reverberation. Then I wondered how it would work in a recording enviornment.

I always record my shits for archival purposes. It's nice to have them whenever I need to make another song huh huh.

the cool thing about recording in a bathroom, is you can flush the toilet to get a real neat "surf" sound.......

"SSWWwoooooshhhh"

......just kiddin..........

ive never recorded in a bathroom before. so i have no idea where to place the mics, or if it sounds decent enough........

but its worth a try!

I used to do it all the time...it's very nice...now my bathroom is made of plastic and linoleum, so I don't get good verb anymore.:mad:

"Bathroom" is a default reverb setting in Cubase, so I'd imagine it can be a desirable sound if done correctly.

I remember seeing something a few years ago on some cheesy MTV show about some rapper's studio. They had a mic stand in the shower stall for recording the vocals. Sounds like an interesting idea...

there was some band back in the day that had some singer who thought he was a lizard king or a dead indian or some shit, and they tracked vocals for at least a few tunes in a bathroom

also that stupid-ass "had a bad day" song that came out a couple years ago - i don't know the exact title or who sings it - was tracked in a bathroom

never ever sang and recorded, but....did do some guitar tracks in there once at another friends studio, it felt weird leaving my amp in the bathroom for some reason I was worried about it in there...maybe it was the thought of a back-up and my amp being in water and other assorted mess...anyway, never did use the tracks.

I have a large ADA compliant bathroom adjacent to my studio, and just opening the door gives a nice reverb on the side, that can be mic'd and blended in. It's my free plug in.

how about someone try this, record vocal while taking a shit haha.
imagine the tracker in the same room or outside yelling in "retake retake"

I think it works if you are actually in a shower with the closed shower doors and probably be best if you have the shower on too... Perhaps have someone flush the toilet for added effect... :D

my shower is tiled and gives a very nice sound. the bathroom is connected to my music room so it is very easy to move a mic in there. i usually dont get too fancy. i just stand at one end of the shower and set the mic in there w/ me. i have done stuff where i sang into the corner and put the mic right behind me, also pointed at the corner.

i record alot of percussion in the shower too - shakers, maracas, kalmiba, claves and even melodica.

Back