Vocal recording technique question

Watchtower12

Hey Guys,
Newbie here, looks like a great place to learn some new stuff.

Just wondering, if I was to fabricate a Mic mount for 2 condenser mics, so they were close and pretty much unified in location, running them thru 2 separate mic pres, both with phase switches, and then recorded to 2 separate tracks, do you think it would work ?
Are there any major problems I would face ?

Thanks for any feedback,
JS

Is this what you are thinking about?
31c1nvyYDbL.jpg

There are several companies that make bars for setting mics up in things like ORTF, XY or Blumlein. They are useful for recording choirs, acoustic guitars, etc. to give a nice stereo image. Two channels, two mics, one stand and hit record. Cost run from $10 for very basic ones, to $100+ for more elaborate devices.

The trick is learning what the various micing techniques are and then deciding what result you want. Sometimes its trial and error, but after a while you'll probably find what works best for your recording situations.

For vocals, there's no point in doing it unless you have two mics with specific different sounds. You are talking about a single point source of sound, so both mics will pick up the same sound, assuming they are close together. I've done it with 2 stands, two different mics to see if one mic was better than the other for my voice. With a pop filter and both mics about 2" back - I didn't want to go further because one was an SM58, the other an LDC. The sound was minimally different, but what I expected. I only used one track in the mix.

Mono source is always going to be mono. However if you are looking to mic an instrument in a good room that needs some depth, then by all means try that.

It is not typically used for vocals so much. There is not so much 'stereo image' to capture unless you are in a theater. Then there is a room to be recorded.

Though never a bad idea to experiment.

My advice would be to stay away from the reverse phase with 2 mics thing for vocals. You can get the same with your DAW.

1 good mic for vocals and nail it.

My advice would be to stay away from the reverse phase with 2 mics thing for vocals. You can get the same with your DAW.

Except it could be useful for auditioning the combination of the two mics live. Polarity is polarity, so it's a completely reversible (heh) process, unlike compression etc.

Except it could be useful for auditioning the combination of the two mics live. Polarity is polarity, so it's a completely reversible (heh) process, unlike compression etc.

Absolutely. And I have been there and done that.

Not often that I have used both mics. But in competition, one may be better.

In my personal experience, (after trying multiple condenser and dynamics) I have just gone with one mic and pre for vocals. SM7b with Vintech X731 just works for every singer I have recorded since. Maybe I am lazy? Or tired of trying to find better than what just works?

Others may have completely different experiences. There is no one perfect mic or room for anything.

I agree that one mic should be fine. The trick is to find the right mic then find a preamp that works with it. It's rare that two mics are better than one, though I have done that on some instruments.

Hey Guys,
Thanks for all the feedback, just got back to check in.
I always double track my guitars so I thought why not try something new on Vocals.
I've got 2 Condenser Mics with different freq responses, 2 different tube Mic pres, so I was thinking I might get a fatter mixed final track.
We're all a bit of a Mad Scientist, ...no ?

Thanks again, I'll be reading it all over again.

JS

Mad scientist is all the reason to try however many mics you can. :D Vary the distance with each mic. Maybe have one as a main mic, the other pointed at a reflecting wall. Capture the whole room kinda thing.

As far as what you described in your first post, it's kinda meh. As others have said, you'll probably pick just one track to use. To find something significantly different in sound, you gotta significantly change something. Side by side probably won't be much of a change from one mic to the other. For guitar, it makes sense to stereo mic it because different sections of a guitar sound different. But for a singer, it's basically one sound source.

Still, fun to experiment.

Back