Vocal Recording Question

dsealer

I was wondering how some of you deal with a loud, forceful voice? I have that kind of voice. My way of dealing with it has been to turn down the preamp, lower the input level, stand further away from the mic. However I still have words or parts of words that seem to be loud. I also use some compression, both going in and after the vocal is recorded. Yet parts still seem to be loud…..at least to me. I generally use one of two mics. Either a TLM 103 or a Mojave MA 200. I run them through either an Art MPA Pro or a Neve 5012. Would using a dynamic mic be an option?
Suggestions appreciated.
Thanks,
Don…..

Pros who have to deal with very loud singers usually use a dynamic mic , sometimes with a condenser, sometimes without. Steven Tyler for one, just off the top of my head. An SM58 would be a great place to start

I was wondering how some of you deal with a loud, forceful voice?
For me, it's definitely distance and a really low setting on the preamp. Although I do find that condenser mics are that much more sensitive and pick up the flapping of bird wings outside and a cat meeoowwing half way down the road, I find dynamic mics are damned sensitive too and will pick up things I didn't expect.
Sometimes, my friends, when doing vocals, don't sing loud enough. Other times they bring on the dreaded digital "CCCRRRRR" clip.
I will add though, that as it's you and your voice that you're talking about, you are in a position to do something about taming it with discipline and conscious control. It's obviously a problem for you so this is one of those times when the problem has to be dealt with at source.....literally !

dont be afraid of the LA2A plugin....smash it , crank it up, try maxing it out, its not like a 3630Alesis.....LA2A can do heavy comp in a good way.

Back