vocal recording

Sublimer

I'm setting up a home recording studio, and I was wondering if I should record vocals directly and use a preamp, or should I mic an amp and do my vocals through the amp. which one would sound better?

A tube preamp like the ART dual MP is a must for using cheap mics...
Micing a guitar amp is a good way to get a distorted telephoney feedbackish kinda vocal ala Reznor or Anselmo...

S8-N

S8-N - hiya. I'm putting my Shures straight into the mixer, no preamp. Still an improvement with another preamp?

Dobro, you mean you want a preamp-preamp? I guess some people like putting the signal through another stage like a tube compressor and such before it hits the preamp in the mixer.

Sublimer, depends on the sound your after - nothing wrong with plugging a mic into your marshall stack and micing it, who knows.

Emeric - nope, I don't want a preamp preamp, but S8N's got very similar gear to mine, and I'm curious to find out what he's up to, as he seems to get there before me in most cases. Except for the cellist.

Guitars the only thing you really need to mic an amp for, and now that the POD exists you don't even need to do that. So every thing goes direct.

HAWLK
(i think i'm a little late with my answer to this question) Oh well,

Back