Violin Samples & Midis... Level of difficulty?

dreamache

I have a few acoustic guitar songs that I'd love to add a realistic solo violin to... I have a midi keyboard and I have Garritans personal orchestra which has violins... How difficult is it to use the keyboard and learn how to "midi" to get something realistic? :/

If you're good with the keyboard and you have good samples then it shouldn't be too hard!

GPO is great, and you can do some very convincing violin with it. I also use Dan Dean Solo Strings, which has the best cello I've used. With GPO, make sure you setup the sustain pedal for legato control when doing violin, vs sustain mode for piano. Practice using the pedal to emulate the difference between a note change with a new bow stroke vs note changes in the middle of a bow stroke.

google "synful". Synful has a demo you can try for 15 days, it has some pretty interesting orchestral stuff.

Robert D said:
GPO is great, and you can do some very convincing violin with it. I also use Dan Dean Solo Strings, which has the best cello I've used. With GPO, make sure you setup the sustain pedal for legato control when doing violin, vs sustain mode for piano. Practice using the pedal to emulate the difference between a note change with a new bow stroke vs note changes in the middle of a bow stroke.

Yeah that last bit of advice probably makes a world of difference for realism.

Back