Vintage recording with modern techniques (vid link)

The key points...which he mentions in the first minute...is that it's mostly about the writing and the arranging.
Something I've said to many of the folks who will show up asking about what type of old gear will help them get some sounds from the past...where they believe that it was mostly about vintage mics and tape decks, etc...but it was actually about the writing and arranging of the era, and you have to get into the mindset of the players and music of it.
Sure, gear can help, but as shown in the video, you generally don't need a pile of vintage gear to recreate a sound, a feeling of a particular time or style of music.

The other important thing is that they get people that really know and can play in that (particular) style.

Trying to recreate that "vibe" of recording where there's basically a mic in a room, but doing it in separate takes (because of the project requirements) is an interesting challenge. And, semi-related, I thought it was interesting that they did do "close to" mono mixes because the sound they were going to would have been all mono.

A good use of time on YouTube (for me at least).

yeah but hes using a lot of old stuff in his room, looks like old ALTEC green gear and LA2A...with editable new ITB.
Old and New Hardware and software. Seems more Hybrid than ITB... seems Full ITB would work just fine.

the ALTEC 1567 looked cool...the cartoon plugin version sounds as good... he says.
I didn't know that was an "era piece" of gear? ALTEC 1567A Mic Pre/ Mixer...very cool gear

Attachments

• oldie Altec.png
    oldie Altec.png
    764.1 KB · Views: 28
Back